Chapter 48 - Important Meeting

"Hey lovebirds," says David as soon as me and Peter enter the bedroom.

"Morning," we answer.

"You had a busy night. Is it going to be like that every night?" David laughs at us while he packs his things. His hair is wet. When Peter and I left the room, he was still sleeping. How long did we take in the shower?

"Um, I don't know what you're talking about," Peter says, trying to appear as though he does not understand what's going on. He puts things away and I'm so embarrassed I don't even say a word. I also start to put my things in my bag.

"Of course you don't. I'm going to class. Have fun while I'm not here." He puts his backpack on his shoulder and leaves the room, still laughing.

"So embarrassing!" I throw a pillow at Peter. "We will not do this again."

"Let me remind you that you started. You just need to be a good girl and everything will be fine." Peter got a mischievous grin on his face.

"What I need to be is a good girl for your mother. I'm so nervous that my hands are sweating."

"She will like you, don't worry."

***

When I see Peter's mom at the restaurant, I recognize her immediately. I've seen many photos of her, and she looks a lot like Peter.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Kane." I smile and shake her hand.

"I've heard a lot about you, Kelly."

"And I of you!" I smile, and she smiles back.

She's sending me good vibes. I don't know why I was so nervous. After all, if she's anything like Peter, she's one of the nicest people in the world.

I sit next to Peter, and his mom sits facing him. The waiter gets our orders; I ask for a chicken burger.

"Peter told me you want to come live to the United States."

"Yeah, your son and I want to live together." Peter and I smile at each other.

"Well, you're not welcome in my house."

Everything inside me stops when she says this. Am I getting this right?

"Mom... I told you today wasn't the right time." Peter looks very upset.

"Peter," she says firmly to him. My gaze goes between Peter and his mother. I have to say something quickly.

"I understand. I realize that it might bother you, having a stranger in your home. It's okay, I'll stay at a hotel until we can find our own place."

I'm trying to lighten the mood, I really don't want to not get along with Peter's mom. And what I want even less is that they get angry at each other because of me.

"You don't understand, Kelly. What I don't agree with is you dating my son."

"You're not even giving her a chance!" Peter says to his mom.

"Oh, I already know her very well from the things you've told me, there's nothing else to get to know."

What did Peter tell her?!

"I truly love your son."

"I don't doubt that. My son is loving. Anyone would fall for him. But you have to agree that he deserves better than you, let alone with the drug problem you have." Peter facepalms and gets up. He looks very upset.

No. No. No. No other family can be destroyed because of me. Diogo was an experience that I cannot repeat. I will not take it.

You're leaving your family for me?! Please don't do that.

"Kelly, let's get out of here. Mom, I told you not to say those things to her, I've already explained to you that I'm staying with her whether you like it or not. I don't know what you're trying to do here."

I can't even move with all of this, I'm stunned.

"Kelly, listen to me..." She puts her hand on my hand and looks at me, begging, "Please, if you know my son, you know he'll stick by you, regardless of the consequences he might face. He's going to have a very tough life, and you understand how that's not what a mother wants for her son. Drugs destroy families. And he's just a boy with his entire life ahead of him. He'll find another girl who will love him for sure. If you love him as you say you do, please, don't drag him down with you."

She's right. He deserves much better. I am not good for him, I never was. I'm a junkie. I'm a whore. I'm a slut.

"Mom, enough! Kelly, let's go!"

I stand up and follow Peter out of the restaurant. Once I'm outside I feel I can't breathe. I can't even look at Peter and his voice sounds far away.

"Nevermind her, she doesn't get it."

"Did you tell your mom about my drug problem?"

"I don't hide anything from my mom, but now I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea. Don't worry about her, we'll find our own place and we won't have to stay with her."

"And you knew she didn't like me and didn't even prepare me for this?" I say, louder than I should.

"I never thought she'd react this way. Plus, I didn't want you to be nervous. Yesterday was bad enough, and you didn't even know about this."

"Great, Peter. I think you did a great job." I am trying to catch up my breath.

"I'm sorry, okay? I thought things would be different. I won't say anything to her anymore. In fact, I'm gonna have a very serious conversation with her about this."

"No, Peter, you're not. The last thing I want right now is for you and your mom to fight, or for your relationship to change because of me. Okay? That would make her hate me even more." I start walking towards my bike and removing the lock. Peter follows. "You should go back inside and finish having lunch with your mom."

"I'm not doing that." He removes his lock as well.

"Listen, your mom's only here a few days. You need to make the best of the time you have with her. Afterwards we'll talk about this better. I need to be alone right now either way. Don't do anything to make this worse."

"Tell me you're not even considering for a second what she said." Peter grabs me and forces me to look him in the eyes.

"I'm not. Okay? Happy? Now I'm going to your dorm and you are having lunch with your mother."

"And you're not gonna do anything stupid?"

"You mean do drugs?" He looks worried. I sigh, "No."

"Okay... we'll talk later." Peter comes closer and gives me a long kiss that makes my legs feel weak.