Chapter 34 - Trying to overcome

"I ended up going out last night," I say to Júlia. 

I'm at Júlia's dorm in the common kitchen. She's making rice and I'm seasoning meat.

"Really? I'm glad you're out and having fun. Who did you go out with? Did you meet someone there?"

"Hardin and David. I got home in the morning and I'm still feeling hungover. I'm not considering dating anyone for now."

Speaking on Hardin, he just texted me asking if I'm okay. 

 Kelly: I'm good. I don't know what was up with Peter last night, he left not long after you.

Júlia continues to talk to me, "But you should, that's exactly what'll make you forget all about Peter. You know you can only start healing once you find someone new."

"I know you're right, but my head's all fucked. I don't even know what to say to you, I can't recognize myself," I say, and Júlia stops stirring the rice and points the wooden spoon at me.

"Listen, sis, you gotta focus. Getting over someone is hard, but you can do it. Many people have gone through it. You're not the first person to get heartbroken. It's not the end of the world. Do something about it. In four or five months we'll go back to Portugal and nothing will remind you of these people. Little by little you'll forget all about them, but for now I don't want to see you like this. You need to make the best of this Erasmus experience and have fun, otherwise you'll regret it after a while when you forget all about Peter. You're gonna think to yourself that you should have enjoyed it and you didn't because of some guy."

"I get what you're saying, and I'll try." I get a pot from the shelf and pour some oil to fry the meat.

"I hope you do. And that you're able to. Me and the girls from my dorm went to the Three Sisters last night. Where have you been?" She keeps stirring the rice, and I put some steaks on the pan.

"Um, we went to another bar." I'm distracted because I notice Hardin's replied. 

Hardin: Maybe he wanted to make things right but regretted it because I was there.

Kelly: No, he went there because he knew I was with you and got jealous. When you left, so did he.

Hardin: Oh, okay. What are you up to today?

Kelly: Dinner at Júlia's, but I don't have plans after that. Are there any parties later?

Hardin: Maybe, I'll let you know.

Kelly: Okay.

"I might go out with Hardin later," I say to Júlia.

"Just Hardin?"

"Kinda."

"Ooh." She grins at me.

"It's not what you're thinking. We're just friends and sometimes we go out with some of his Dutch friends."

"Oh, okay. Why have you never introduced me to these friends?"

"Because we don't do it that often and besides we haven't hung out with his friends since you've been here. They don't really like new people in the group. I'm only going because you said I need to distract myself and be with other people."

I lie to Júlia because I don't want her to see these friends and find out that I am attending raves and do drugs again. She'd freak out.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm just glad you're heeding my advice."

"You know I always do."

***

I'm watching a movie in Júlia's room when I get a text from Hardin.