Chapter 31 - Not again

I'm not hungry. I'm tearing apart the food on my plate to look like I'm eating. Hardin's gaze slips between me and my plate, and I feel the pressure. So, I'm trying to chow down some sort of English breakfast he made when Júlia arrives looking alarmed.

"You really worried me, Kelly! And you're here eating like it was nothing. I called so many times and Peter showed up at my door like a maniac. What's going on and why didn't you come to me?"

"Calm down. I'll explain everything. Do you want to eat anything? I don't think I can eat this whole thing." Even though Júlia spoke Portuguese, I answer in English. I don't want Hardin to feel left out.

"Hey Hardin. Sorry I'm speaking Portuguese, I'm stressed out."

"Hey Júlia. No worries. Wanna eat?" Hardin is in front of me eating.

"I don't want anything, thank you. Kelly, tell me what's going on."

"Can we go to the bedroom?" I ask Hardin. The kitchen's crowded, and I don't want to talk here. And at least this way I won't have to pretend I'm eating.

"Sure, I'll stay here and finish my breakfast."

"Come with us," I ask, placing my hand on his.

Hardin nods and brings his plate, and I get up as well. We head to the bedroom, and Júlia follows.

"I went after Peter last night, like I said, and he was there with Becky. I left and never want to see him again. All of this was just a big mistake."

"That phony!" Júlia snaps and punches Hardin's door. "I should have punched him when he knocked on my door. But were they naked or something?"

"No. I don't even know if they were doing something, but they probably were. Even if they're not, they're hiding something from me and it can't be good."

Hardin's eating at the desk, no expression on his face as he looks at us.

"I can't never stay with someone I don't trust," I say.

"You're right. How did we let this guy fool us?! We know all men are the same. I'm sure he's with Becky. Wouldn't be the first time."

"I need your help. You're gonna have to ask him for the key to my place and make sure all of his things are out of there and tell him to back off."

"You know he spent the whole night by your place. Today when I came here I saw him sitting at your door. He saw me and I was sure he was gonna follow me. I had to lose him."

How is it possible that I feel bad imagining him spending the night in the cold after all that happened?!

"I don't care. I never want to talk to him again. I want to let go for good." I feel completely betrayed. He's got little secrets with his ex behind my back. I can't allow it.

"I'll help you. I'm always here for you." Júlia holds me and the tears start flowing again. "When the path is clear I'll call you so you can go home, okay?" I say nothing. I'm not even strong enough to speak.

Júlia leaves and I delete all of Peter's texts from my phone without reading them and block his number.

Then I take a shower and put on a Hardin's black sweater, with my green neon pants. I managed to remove all the makeup with water and soap. I'm feeling fresh.

Hardin and I are smoking pot again, when suddenly he talks to me, "I think Peter really likes you. Something fucked up must have really happened for him to be with Becky. Don't you think you should at least listen to what he has to say?"

"No. I don't want to hear him, I want to forget him. I don't want to suffer anymore. Falling in love was a bad idea."

"We don't choose those things."