Chapter 30 - Vulnerable

Tonight it's a neon & glow themed party, and I put on a green neon outfit and makeup with a lot of glitter.

Apparently, Peter is fine and Becky didn't come to the party, which is strange, because she told me yesterday that she was coming.

Peter is staying near the bar with Dylan as usual and I notice he's always texting, but it's probably no big deal, since sometimes he texts his mom and his friends back in the US. Especially at night, because of time zone difference.

Júlia and I dance together on the dancefloor and many people are noticing our dance moves. Hardin and David are whispering around with some girls.

I see Peter calling for me and I come closer.

"I'm heading home," he shouts in my ear.

"So soon?"

"I'm tired."

"Alright."

"Have fun." He kisses me on the lips, pats Dylan on the back, and heads out.

I'm not even saying another word. Once again he didn't ask me to come with him.

I ask Júlia to come outside and have a smoke with me.

"Peter's acting weird, he's been distant since last night. Or is it just me?" I light up my cigarette and give Júlia my lighter so she can light hers.

"Sis, it's up to you. You know him better than I do."

"I feel like something's off, I think I'm gonna go after him when I'm done with this cigarette."

"Are you gonna show up at his dorm? I've never seen you go after a guy like this."

"Yeah, but if I'm moving countries for a guy, I have to know that I can trust him and be sure about our relationship."

"Up to you. I really know nothing, all of this is very new to me. I'm not used to seeing you in a relationship and feeling so insecure."

"I'm not used to it either. Sometimes I'm scared of how vulnerable I've become because of Peter."

"Well, truth is, you've only known him for a few months."

"But he makes me happy. I really have to go and see if everything's okay."

***

Everything is quiet. I open the door of the dorm and go up, then I knock on Peter's door.

He opens the door and I immediately see Becky in his room.

My heart drops, and I feel dizzy. I'm about to fall down. I gather the strength somewhere, Peter's talking to me but I'm not even listening, I just turn around and start sprinting outside.

"Kelly! Kelly, let me explain!" I can hear him behind me.

"Kelly!" I hear Becky's voice at the top of the stairs.

I get on my bike and pedal as fast as I can. I just want to disappear. I don't want to see those two ever again.

I'm sure they'll follow, and just imagining the look in their eyes trying to explain whatever happened makes me feel humiliated and sick. I can't go back to my studio, they'll look for me there and they'll try to find me at Júlia's as well.

So I go to Hardin's. They wouldn't go there and Hardin wouldn't rat me out. Best thing is that he won't ask questions.

I reach his place trembling, not sure if because of the cold or because I'm a mess. My heart is racing.

I manage to get in because one student is getting in at the same time as me. I already gave Hardin the extra key back.

I go up and knock on his door, but no one answers. He's probably not back from the party yet. I sit in the kitchen waiting.