Chapter 39 - Mess

"That was a pretty good movie. Well, I think I'm gonna head out to my place." Hardin gets up and puts his shirt on.

I stay on the couch and stretch myself. My belly is full from the lunch he prepared for me and I'm sleepy. I slept just a few hours tonight and the weed didn't help.

Hardin pulls out his phone and starts looking at it. He frowns. "Apparently dinner's off for tonight. Can I tell Dylan I'm here?"

"Sure. Something wrong?" I notice my phone's ringing and it's Júlia, who also texted me letting me know dinner's cancelled.

"I don't know. Dylan asked me if I'm with you."

"Probably to tell Peter. He's a pain in the ass, always wanting to know what I'm doing and who I'm with."

"David's calling me." Hardin answer the phone and I feel nervous. Is something going on? "Hey." Hardin's quiet for a while, listening to David on the other side. "Yeah, I'm with her." Hardin's still quiet. "I don't know," he says and then turns to me. "Were you with Peter today?" he asks and I nod affirmatively. 

I notice something different about his facial expression, Hardin is surprised. He has been more open with me lately, he is no longer with poker face all the time and lets his feelings show more. Or am I the one who is able to read him better now?

 "Yeah, she says she was with him," he says, and goes back to just listening. "Okay, thanks. Bye."

"What's going on?" I get up as soon as he hangs up.

"When were you with Peter?"

"Morning, I saw him on campus. Why?"

"He's having a rough time. Got drunk, puked, punching everything, kinda fucked up. David said he said your name a bunch of times... and mine. What did you say to him?" 

What?! What did I do?! I'm feeling so guilty, so worried... My breathing is out of control.

"To forget that I existed... why did they call you?"

Oh my god... I can't believe the mess I've made. I just want to get out of this mess and run out of here and help him.

"Peter asked them to call me. Dylan and David are with him, trying to calm him down. They wanted to understand what happened, but I don't know either."

I have to admit my mistake sooner than I expected. I take a deep breath and say, "He won't let me move on and I said to him that we slept together to shut him up."

He looks at me with wide eyes, as if he doesn't have to believe what I'm saying, finally he says, "Fuck, Kelly."

"I'm sorry. It's not that far from the truth, anyway."

"Fair enough, but still, this was not cool of you," he says assertively.

"You're right. I don't know what to do to get him out of my life. Do you think I should go there and do some damage control?"

Please say yes because I can't take sitting here doing nothing.

"Yes, I do. I'm not going because if I did, and he saw us arriving together, it would make things worse. But I'll join you until we're almost there and then go to my place."

"Okay, thanks."

***

As I arrive at Peter's room, I was expecting to hear a lot of noise or a big mess but it's relatively quiet. Just normal dorm sounds. I don't know if I should knock or call David or Dylan.

I end up knocking on the door and Dylan opens the door and looks surprised when he sees me. His brown eyes study my worried face. Then he gets out of the room and closes the door behind him, not allowing me to go in.