Chapter 3 - Electricity

I wake up the next day feeling pretty dazed and realize the time on my cellphone says 2PM.

Being home alone for too long, with nothing to do, makes me think of things I shouldn't. I can't afford to spend another day at home, so I get up and choose a long sweater dress and wear a good amount of makeup to disguise my sickly appearance. 

Before I head out, I go to the kitchen to try to eat half of a dry hard piece of bread. I am used to not eating for many hours, days, and sometimes I forget. 

"There's nothing to eat, did you hide the food from me?"

"I'm starving, why don't you buy any food?"

I snap back to reality. I need to start cooking, otherwise I'll lose too much weight. And I don't want to get skinnier. I have a tendency to do so and I don't like it, because I want to keep my curves.

After giving the bread a couple of bites and forcing myself to swallowing them, I take a painkiller and leave the house. 

I haven't told anyone I was going to the party, and once I arrive, I notice that it's on the dorm's private patio. I thought it might be inside, I should have brought a coat. Marcus and Becky's dorm is Albertine Agnespleinque and is also small, like mine, with twenty-six rooms; however, the patio's quite large. 

I look amongst the student groups until I'm able to find Becky, Martina, and Dylan, who immediately hug me. I think they are drunk. Their faces are a bit disfigured and they're moving weirdly.

"So, are you guys having fun?" I ask them.

"Yes! Grab a beer!" shouts Martina, giving me a beer she grabs from the floor.

"Martina, I'm taking medication, so I'm afraid I can't drink," I say, even though I really wanted to. Damn. I forgot my weed at home. "But I'll take a joint if you've got one." My throat doesn't hurt anymore, and I'm feeling like having a smoke.

"Sorry, no joints here," replies Becky.

"Are Marcus and Hardin not here?" I look around and the party doesn't seem all that fun, despite all the groups of students drinking and smoking. The music's a little low, and no one's dancing. I really wanted to dance.

"Marcus left the club with some girl last night and we haven't seen him since, and Hardin said he's coming. Probably hasn't arrived yet. If he knew you were coming, he'd probably be here by now," says Martina. I hope she's wrong, since I don't want him to rely on me for things like that.

"Um, okay." I feel the cold wind in my body and it makes me shiver. Summer in the Netherlands sucks. This cannot even be called Summer compared to the Summer in Portugal.

Maybe I shouldn't have left the studio when I'm still recovering.

No, I can't stand being at home anymore, and I wish I had something fun to do. "I'm going inside to grab something to eat and shelter myself from the cold."

"Want me to join you, Kelly?" Becky offers.

"No, stay here and have fun, and I'll be back in a bit." I give my friend a smile and start heading towards the kitchen quickly and hope Becky doesn't follow because I'm not in the mood for drunk people.

"Okay, have it your way." She doesn't even notice I'm blowing her off, which is good.

I enter the dorm and head towards the blue kitchen, the largest one in the dorm. I sit on one of the couches eating a bag of chips I found on the table and start scrolling through my phone. I'm alone in the kitchen because everyone's outside partying.