Chapter 14 - After the storm...

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask as I put my clothes on.

"Can we talk outside or something? Coming here wasn't a good idea, I can't focus with you in an isolated place," he says while buttoning his pants.

"As you wish. But hey, you need to clean the lipstick from your face." I smile at him, and he smiles back.

We go back down in silence and away from each other. Peter walks outside and I'm following him when I see Martina in a corner out of the club, in tears.

"Peter, we have to talk later, okay?" I head towards her.

"What happened?" I ask when I get to her.

"I had a fight with Dylan..." she says, as one tear tipped over the edge of her long lashes.

"Let's get out of here. Let me just get my things." I turn around and see Peter standing there. I apologize to him with my eyes and head back inside.

That night, I invited Martina to sleep in my studio, but she didn't explain what had happened, and spent the whole night crying. I didn't ask anything and just held my friend's hand until we were both asleep.

***

I spend the afternoon in the library studying, and so when I get home to get ready for a party at Hardin's dorm, I'm already late because it started early.

I put my hair in a ponytail, put some makeup on, and wear a t-shirt from the Portuguese Football (soccer) team that I knot to expose my stomach area. It's a themed party and we have to bring something from our home country. I put on some jeans with high waist and white sneakers. Then I grab my coat and leave my studio.

The international party is in the building's entrance hall and everyone's waving their flags and scarves from their home country. The cups are piling up on the ground and I've arranged for Peter and I to talk during the party, but in a common area so as to avoid any incidents.

I see Peter coming in through the front door with Dylan and Marcus. Peter is wearing a sweater with the words "Los Angeles California" on the front, and Dylan comes with a United States flag on his wide shoulders. Marcus has a Brazilian cap covering up his head, showing just a little of his chocolate brown hair around his ears.

"Hey, the other guys are here. I'll go get them," says Becky.

I'm having a beer with Becky, Martina and Hardin. Becky heads towards them and then brings them over. We say hello and I notice Martina and Dylan aren't even looking at each other. What happened between those two, anyway? Peter looks at me and is probably thinking what I'm thinking: how do we get out of here without them noticing?

"I'm getting a beer," says Peter.

"I'll join you," Dylan replies.

"No worries bro, stay there and I'll bring one for you."

"Okay..."

Peter heads towards the stairs and I see him giving me a signal. I look around and no one noticed, Martina's distracted talking to Becky, Dylan and Marcus are chatting as well, and Hardin's gone, I don't even see him anymore.

"I'm going to the bathroom, I'll see you in a bit," I say, but I don't think anyone's listening.

He's waiting for me at the top of the stairs and we walk quietly until we find a more private location. We end up sitting on these chairs from a kitchen I had never been in, and look at each other in silence.

"Didn't you want to talk? Talk, otherwise I'm going downstairs," I say, losing my patience.

"Easy, Kelly. I'm thinking about what to say, I don't know how to act around you," he says, moving in his chair. He looks down at the table to avoid my gaze.