Chapter 4 - Chemistry

Start from the beginning

After we're done with our kebabs, we grab a beer at the Three Sisters bar, the biggest bar in Europe which is also at Grote Market. 

"I think you're going to drink tea, you're sick, remember?" 

"I'm going to drink beer, because that's what I want," I say.

"There you are being rude." Peter raise his hand to get the waiter's attention. Then he orders for a beer and a tea. He smiles at me, amused at making me furious, and my anger dissipates.

"It's not your business what I drink," I say, and we sit at the table.

"This beer is great!" He's still teasing me. But I won't be bothered by him.

"Heineken's everywhere, it's a Dutch brand. Don't you have it in the States? You probably do."

"Now that you mention it, I think we do. I might have tried it but can't remember."

"Dork." I laugh and take a sip out of my fucking hot tea.

"Guilty as charged." He takes a sip out of his.  "So there's a lot of bars and parties here. Do you guys usually go to these?"

"Yeah, our group goes out a lot, we go to bars and attend dorm parties. You'll like us, we're all pretty cool."

"Well, I know you are. If they're all like you, I'll be fine."

"Thanks."  For some reason I can feel myself blushing. "You'll fit in just fine."

Suddenly Peter looks behind me with a serious face and gets up, leaving me at the table alone. I look back to see what's going on and he helps a young waiter who is out of balance with the tray, picking up on the tray and taking it to the counter. He talks and laughs with the waiter for a few minutes before sitting down in front of me again. Who even behaves like this?!

"Sorry, I used to work as a waiter, to help my mom and to save money for this exchange program," he says.

When he tells this little part of his life, I feel curious to know more. I'm realizing that I'm interested in getting to know him better. That's why I can't take my eyes off him and observe all his movements and behaviors, to learn as much as I can about him.

What the hell am I thinking? I don't want to be interested in him. I'm not interested in him at all.

"Are you okay?" he asks. Oh no, I'm being awkward again.

He's looking at me waiting for an answer and I'm looking at him.

"Hm, yeah... hm... That's cool... the waiter thing," I say, and I do a facepalm in my mind.

"You're such a nutty," he says and grins at me. I roll my eyes at him. "So, what American TV shows do you like to watch?" he asks, and I'm grateful that he changes the subject.

Peter and I chatted about our favorite movies and TV shows, and by the time he drops me off at home, it's already dark.

He really has strange behaviors. He gave me his sweater, because he noticed that I was cold, and I didn't even tell him anything. And then he stopped on our way to talk to a stranger and pet his dog.

His sweater smells so good, that I wanted to invite him in, but I had to control myself. I have some kind of relationship with Hardin, and can't afford to start sabotaging my new life just yet.

I have to take this new chance and be a better person. I promised myself that.

***

The following day, I am watching Lucifer per Peter's suggestion, but what I really want is to see him again.