- mistake

[word count: 436]

"klaus you need to calm down" you called after your boyfriend trying to keep up with his fast pace as he entered the compound. things were chaotic in the quarter between him and marcel. he turned around sharply and unexpectedly making you gasp as he looked into your eyes, the once light in them gone. anger filling them up and replacing it.

"calm down? marcel thinks he can just take over my town and control my vampires!" he exclaimed as his eyes darted frantically, keeping eye contact with you and you let out a sigh.

"i know, i know. but you need to take a deep breath before you do something you regret. you're not in the right state of mind-" you were cut off suddenly as your head whipped to the right and pain burned through your cheek. letting out a gasp you realized he had just slapped you.

you turned your head back to him, your eyes filled with tears with your lips parted apart. as he noticed what he did, his eyes widened and his face immediately softened.

"y/n-"

"what?" you asked through gritted teeth, your jaw now clenched as anger quickly overtook you.

"i'm sorry, i-i didn't mean to. i just, it just happened" he said as he lowered his head to look at the floor, ashamed of what he had just done.

you knew that it was an accident. he would never want to hurt you. you wanted to forgive him and forget all about it but the stinging pain on the left side of your face says something else. after a few moments of silence you let out a small sigh.

"i know, it's okay" you said as you walked over to him, placing your hand under his chin, picking up his head as he looked at you before he cupped your burning cheek with his hand trying not to cause you any more pain than you already feel.

"okay? it's not okay y/n. i, i hurt you" he said as he furrowed his eyebrows, confused as why you would ever forgive him, despite this quickly. a sad smile spread across your lips.

"you didn't mean to i know that, you were just so angry. it wasn't you" you told him softly looking into his eyes that were filled with so much remorse and guilt. "so get rid of that frown on that beautiful face" you whispered making him half-smile which made you smile as well.

"i love you" he said, pressing his forehead against yours.

"i know. i love you more, though"