CHAPTER 42 - New Month Preparations

*****

It was already three days that have gone and passed by on the first week of the new month in Z-city, and it looks like the winter season is coming soon, so Eden and her group are getting busy making preparations as well as ensuring the necessary supplies and stuff to get through and survive through the cold season once the time comes by then.

Even though it appears that the cold weather hasn't come through or been drafted into Z-city yet, it looks like Eden is already working on plans and making preparations before the time comes once the winter season arrives at the time of that very month.

And it looks like the others in the group agreed with Eden as well, for they also get busy, working around and getting things ready for the coming cold weather of the winter season before that very time comes in or maybe later on in the future days ahead or so.

Ole Bessie and Mother Ying went busy with their tasks of knitting and sewing more clothes for them, even though they have a lot of clothes in storage, including the winter season kinds. But the two old women are determined upon working on these tasks because they felt like they needed more clothes than necessary in case the weather of the incoming season becomes too cold than usual or something.

For Nadia and Talia, they ensure the food and water rations they have in their supply storage on the units and make sure that they save enough to survive through the winter season, as well as list down the necessary and important stuff that needs to be gathered and foraged more from other places in Z-city that they haven't gotten there and hit yet, which is really important to scavenge more supplies, not just for all of them, but to be able to last long and survive through the months ahead of time in the future.

Mark and Homer work on modifying and fixing more of the devices to make the security measures in Safe Haven more effective and better to ensure their safety in their living space throughout the cold season. Ryu and Daiyu were looking through the weapons armory and making sure that they have every defensive and offensive arsenal they need to get through the season, keep themselves safe and protect themselves against any dangers or threats that might come at them during the cold wintertime.

Finally, Sahara and Eden work on ensuring more on the plans and preparations needed to protect them in Safe Haven and ensuring their long stay and survival throughout the winter season when the time comes. As for the children, they were oblivious and unaware of their adult guardians being busy since they were still enjoying themselves by playing games with one another, as well as learning more survival lessons taught by Eden or Talia and other basic subjects that the kids need to be taught with.

It wasn't long on that third day at night already, Eden was in her room relaxing from the exhausting times back in the last two days when everyone got busy doing their chores and everything. She didn't go to sleep yet because her mind was still alert and awake, while her two kids beside her were sleeping peacefully content as it is very late at that nighttime of that very day. It looks like Eden was still thinking about the ideas of her plans and preparations needed for the winter season and it seems to be going on like an hour when in reality, it's only been a few minutes by then.

It didn't take long for Eden to finally decide on something after a few more minutes of thoughtful silence, as she reached over one of her free arms to grab for her journal, take it out from its hiding place, and then went on writing a new entry into it, to list down the events of what's been going on and happening during the last three days back then.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY UNKNOWN, 11TH MONTH NOVEMBER, YEAR 2XXX

Hey, it's Eden again.

Wow, it's been a very busy time since then for three days in this first week of the new month here in Safe Haven of Z-city.

And it is necessary to be busy and working on various tasks and chores because it's now nearing the winter season and I can slightly sense the cold drafty weather coming in once the time comes and goes through here in Z-city.

Ohh boy, we got a lot of work to do by then, and I'm not worried that we won't make it since all of us already started doing the needed tasks and chores, even moving around as fast as we can before the cold winter blazes into here.

The two old women, Ole Bessie and Mother Ying went on with their sewing and knitting skills to patch up the ratted clothes or those that have holes, and also make new ones, despite that we have a lot of clothes already in the storage units, that I had scavenged and gathered a lot the last year, in all sizes, both adult and children, and even all seasons, which somehow I predicted that it would happen or not, in case I encounter any other survivors and brought them back to Safe Haven. And my prediction came true when I first met and saved my first group of survivors, which is my two kids Michael and Annie.

Nadia and Talia were ensuring and wisely making sure of our food and water supplies to survive through the winter, listing them down carefully so that we won't waste too much so that we won't starve to death upon running out of supplies. They also listed down what's missing and added the necessary stuff that's truly essential for our survival here in Safe Haven, even throughout the winter.

Next, Ryu and Daiyu were making sure we have enough weapons in the armory and arsenal so that we'll be able to protect and defend ourselves if anything dangerous or threats come at us during the winter season. Mark and Homer also helped in fortifying more of our defenses and the security measures in Safe Haven to keep us more secure and safer through the cold season.

Finally, Sahara and I were listing down and making up plans and preparations in the event of the days ahead of us in the future as well as making sure that we survive and live through this winter season, and be able to last long enough until the new year comes after the cold season is over and done with, and then this year ends for the new one at the future time.

Fortunately, our six kids here were oblivious while we were working around since we let them stay out of it, but we made sure that we continued teaching them and letting them learn the survival lessons so that they'll remember all of this and get through with us, without any difficulties and such.

And that's all there is to it. Whew, I didn't realize we've done so much on these kinds of tasks and chores for the last three days of the first week of the new month of November, as I had marked this down on the Calendar room in Safe Haven.

So far, we'll be able to make it through this and survive. And here's hoping that nothing bad is going to happen to us as the time passes by, and I know it's false hope to think about that, but I'm keeping my guard up and alert to keep protecting my group and ensure their safety and livelihood here in Z-city.

The next new entry of this journal the next time will be about the supplies that we need to get for this new month's preparations and such, and I hope that we'll be able to grab as many as we can, enough to last all of us long through this cold winter season. I also pray and hope that nothing bad happens to us when we make our last-minute supply runs and trips to Z-city to accomplish that.

Until then, this is Eden signing off.

*****

After Eden finished writing the entry, she put the journal back into its hiding place, and then settled down on the bed but not lying down yet, for she was still thinking about something, deeply thoughtful over it. It looks like she's still making up plans and ideas in her head, to be prepared for the coming cold weather and winter season as it arrives, but it looks like she won't have difficulty accomplishing that, since she will have help from the others.

Before she surrendered to sleep and go into deep slumber beside her kids, she thought deeply inside her mind, wondering about what is in store for her and her group in the days ahead of them in the future, and thinking about what is going to happen or turn out for them as they gather and scavenge the necessary supplies to survive through the winter, as well as theorizing on the possibilities of events that might happen to them if it comes to that.

Eden hoped and prayed that her group is ready to face whatever it is that might come at them or something, and they'll be prepared once it does, and be able to defend and protect themselves if ever something comes to endanger their lives and harm them. Eden hoped that her entire group will be able to survive through the incoming winter season, and be able to last long enough and survive through it alive into the new year soon in the future ahead.

*****

*****