CHAPTER 16 - New Routine and Caretaker

*****

PRESENT TIME, RECENT YEAR OF THE APOCALYPSE

It was two weeks later that has already gone and passed by, as Eden stirred in her slumber from a few light noises that she heard. She blinked blearily and rubbed her eyes, waking up before she opened them, alert and awake, and then she saw and watched the two children playing with the little puppy named Archer as it yapped and barked playfully and the kids gleefully laughed. Her lips twitched lightly in a fond grin at the sight, before she got off the bed from the tent she was sleeping in and went out to greet them in another good morning.

She brushed off any invisible dust or dirt on her, stretched herself to be fully awake, and after she's done that, she looked over and smiled widely on seeing them play happily on the rooftop with the adult mother wolf-dog watching over and guarding them. The mother dog, named Luna, turned her head to Eden and barked once before going back to watching the young ones.

Eden watched them play while she went to make breakfast for them, cooking their food and making a nutritious meal, before she finished and called them over.

The playful activities stopped and the two kids and the puppy excitedly ran to her with the adult dog slowly following behind as Eden finished setting up the table and chairs outdoors, served the meals on small plates, and hand them over gently to the children, which their names are Michael, the little seven-year-old boy, and Annie, the cute little six-year-old girl.

To the dogs Luna and Archer, she put down two bowls full of food for them, and all of them ate their breakfast contentedly.

Eden eats slowly as she watched with fond eyes the children happily eating their fill, despite that there are some vegetables or veggies mixed in which they don't like.

Fortunately, it looked like the kids aren't picky eaters. After they ate, Eden directed them to go downstairs and told the kids to clean up and they did, obeying her soft commands, with the dogs following after the little boy and girl, and then Eden was left behind to clean up the mess.

After she had done cleaning up and neatly tidying their spot up there on the rooftop, she went downstairs to follow up and check on the others. When she did, she smiled again upon the sight that the children have finished bathing themselves and were trying to wash the dogs as well.

Luna, the mother dog was calm and docile as Michael washed her, but the puppy Archer wasn't behaving well as Annie tried to stop its vigorous wriggling and squirming when she tried to rinse its soapy body with water.

Eden laughed a little over this and came forward to help out the little girl, holding the puppy firmly in her hands as it whined lightly with a complaint, and Annie poured water on the small dog quickly and carefully, finishing the task.

After cleaning and bathing the dogs, and then washing the kids and changing their clothes again when they got wet from their helpful chores, Eden led them to the same empty room where she had the kids sleep in when she saved them before. She made and refurnished a second bedroom for the children, dogs, and her.

Then she got the kids to lie down beside her on the big make-shift soft mattress covered with clean blankets and fluffy pillows, she had set up in there. After they did, she reached out and took a random book from a nearby shelf, that she had retrieved and gotten from one of the supply runs before, and read them a story.

The children, Michael and Annie, listened attentively to the dog's Luna and Archer, lying next beside the mattress with them. A few minutes later, when Eden was about to finish the short story from the book she was reading aloud, the two kids had fallen asleep, instantly tired and nuzzling against their adult guardian closely, happy and content.

SURVIVOR'S JOURNALजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें