40 - The Missing Piece [Edited✅]

***

After the plane had landed, we went back to our stinking home which is now clean and bright and full of life. Dull life.

Saying goodbye to Robert was hard as well. I mean, we kind of connected in a way. Even though we never really spoke.

I remember him telling me, "Mr Foster is a good guy. And he always does everything for a reason. Don't hate him."

How could I? That was just my emotions speaking. Honestly, I think I love the guy but I'll never have a chance to figure it out.

I stand awkwardly in the living and just as I'm about to leave to my room, she speaks.

"Didn't you miss me?" she asks.

I stop, then I turn around, "Excuse me?" I ask, my voice kind of broken from all the crying.

"I asked if you didn't miss me?" she asks again, looking down at her feet.

"Yeah, yeah I did. For six years and then I stopped because your stupid mistake brought me Eric and your stupid mistake took him away from me. And now I'm alone." I cry, again.

"I know what I did was wrong but I'm going to a rehabilitation centre and I'm getting better. For you. What you said that night he came to kill me, it changed me. And I'm ready to be a mother." she says, excitedly.

I shake my head, "It's too late. I'm twenty years old and I'm heartbroken. I just want to be left alone." I say before going to my room.

I collapse on my bed and cry until I fall I asleep.

°°°

When I wake up the next morning, my head is throbbing, my eyes are sore and so is my body. I step into the shower and just when I was about to think of Eric, I cried again.

I have got to stop this. My life cannot revolve around him anymore. It isn't right.

I stop crying, if he doesn't want me then I shouldn't want him. I step out of the shower, getting dressed. I've made a decision.

Eric's POV

"What the hell man?!" Ben shouts at me as we watch the car drive away.

I look at him, "What?"

"How could you? She was the most real thing in your life. How could you just let her go?" he asks, in disbelief and anger for breaking his friend's heart.

I was angry at myself too. But like I said, I didn't have a choice. I look at him, "It's Carlos. He's back in town."

Silence. Then chaos.

°°°

"Does he know about her?" Vince asks me.

"No, that's why she had to leave before he could find out. I'm sorry Ben. I didn't want to but I had to. It was the only way I could keep her safe." I look at him with regret in my eyes.

He looks at me, understanding why I had to do what I did, "It's okay man. I understand but she doesn't. And as soon as we get rid of Carlos, she's coming back."

I smirk, "And this time, to stay."

Nikita's POV

"What!?" she shouts in surprise.

"Yes. I'm leaving. I'm going back to university to get my degree and this time in teaching." I explain, my face straight.

"B-but you can't. You just got back. I need you." she begs for me to stay. And I want to. I want to hug her because I've missed her so.

"I-I'm sorry but being with you just reminds me of him and I don't want to think about him right now. Or ever." I say, my eyes watering. But I blink the tears away.

"You've fallen in love with him, haven't you?" she asks so softly, I almost didn't hear.

I look up at her so fast, I think I might've gotten a whiplash, "I-I don't know. I don't know." my first tear falls.

Mum catches it. "It's not okay honey. We can't control our emotions and you won't get over him easy. If leaving is what you want to do, then okay. But I'm always here if you need me."

I can't even control it anymore. I hug her. I hug as if she's not not going to be there tomorrow.

"I love you Ma. So much." I whisper.

"I love you too baby." she cries back.

After like 15 minutes, we pull away.

"I made lamb stew. Would you like some?" she asks me.

I nod. As we sit by the table, eating, I talk about my experience at the house. She smiles and laughs and cries with me and it feels as if everything is starting to fall in place. But there will always be a missing piece of my puzzle.

Eric.

***