45 - Ice Cream [Edited✅]

***

"So, heartbreak sex, huh?" is the first thing he asks me as we walk alongside each other.

I let out a huff that sounded more like a laugh.

"Yeah, heartbreak sex." I repeat.

"So you admit, that you were just using me to get over some guy." he says, looking at me.

I squint my eyes trying to search for a reply, "No, not exactly, I admit that I had sex with you because I was horny as fuck, piss drunk and angry."

He laughs. It makes my heart heart flutter, "Angry? At what?"

"At myself firstly for falling so hard as I always do. And secondly my ex. Then again we only went on one date and then he broke up with me." I say, clapping my hands together.

"Really? Why'd he break up with you?" he asks, confusion masking his face.

I shrug, "I don't know and honestly I don't care. I allowed myself to be vulnerable around him. Before him, it was always about my mom. And then I left her and I stayed with him." he doesn't need to know the finer details.

"He was actually keeping me hostage. But it seemed as if we had more in common than I'd imagined."

"What went wrong?" Carter asks, sharing my sorrow.

"I don't know. I actually blame it on myself. I fall too hard and too fast." I say, getting angrier.

He stops me, "Maybe it's a good thing that you fall too hard and too fast."

I chuckle looking away, "How?" I ask, my eyes watering up.

"Some people only realise that they fell in love after its way too late. And besides, you just have to fall too hard and too fast for the right person." he smiles sweetly, wiping my tear away.

I let out a sob that kind of sounded like a laugh, "Look at me, crying. This is ridiculous." I step back.

"Not ridiculous. It's how humans connect." he says, putting his arm over my shoulder.

He leads me to an ice cream truck.

"What would you like?" he asks me.

"May I have a blueberry ice cream please. In a cup." I ask the guy.

Carters about to pay but is stop him, "You paid for the meal, let me pay for the dessert."

I pay for our ice creams and then we continue our journey to wherever.

"So, what about you? Besides a club and a restaurant, what else do you own?" I joke.

"Two more clubs and another restaurant on the other side of town." he says in all seriousness.

"I was joking." I tell him.

"I'm not." he says, looking at me.

"Oh okay. You must be stinking rich. Why the hell do you live in a club?" I ask him.

"Technically I live above the club. And secondly, that club was my house. And I used to throw parties frequently so I turned it into a club." he says.

I look at him in surprise, "Of course you did. Look at us young people, making successes of every flaw."

His knocks his cup against mine, "Cheers to that."

"Where're we going anyway?" I ask him, throwing my empty cup in the bin.

"We're already here." he says.

I inhale. We're at the sea. I smile. I love the beach.

He leads me to an open deck where there's literally no one. We take a a seat at the edge where our feet dangles over the edge and into the water.

"Isn't this fun?" he asks sarcastically, sitting so close to me that my naked arms could feel the warmth radiating off him.

"It is actually. I haven't been here in years." I say, looking up at the night sky. It's a full moon tonight.

"Years? Why not?" he asks, in confusion.

"Well, after my dad died, my mom went into this depressive state and I felt like someone had to keep things going. So I looked after her as if she was the daughter and I was her mother. She's better now. I didn't have time for such luxuries as going to the beach or partying or even eating something like chocolate. " I laugh. But it was true.

"You're a strong woman Nikki. Is that your full name?" he asks.

"No, it's Nikita. But I like being called Nikki." I says, resting my hands behind me.

"Well, Nikita, I'm lucky that I know you. And whatever guy left you, he was stupid to let something as precious as you go." he says.

I sit up straight, staring into his eyes. And I see nothing but the truth. And only the truth. My heart races and I feel as if I can't catch up with it.

"It's weird you know." I start off, "I'm talking to the very guy I ordered myself not to talk to."

"Well I'm happy you are talking to me. How was your date?" he asks suddenly.

I laugh, "Weird. He kept talking abut his pets."

I feel a touch on my hand making me look at it. Carter's hand is on mine.

I look at him.

"Go on a date with me." he says. Making my eyes bulge. He makes my heart do things. Just like it was with Eric.

"Carter. I told you, it was just-"he cuts me off.

"Heartbroken angry sex. I know. I don't care about the sex. I mean I would love to have sex with you again." he adds making me blush "but I like you."

I grab his hands, and hold it in my lap, "Carter, I'm not ready for a new relationship."

"Then we won't get on that ship yet. Just one date. One." he begs.

I look at his hands holding mine. I can't stand to be so dead behind the eyes, I just want to feel something. And I do. My heart races and my stomach churns.

"Fine. I'll go on a date with you." I say.

He smiles that gorgeous smile that makes my heart leap in happiness.

And with his arm around my shoulder, my head on his chest hearing his erratic heartbeat, we watch the moon.

Slowly I feel that missing puzzle piece form into place.

***