Chapter 1

The soft sound of rain echoed around the house. Steven rummaged around the cupboards, sighing as he pulled out a box of Mac n' Cheese. With a sigh, memories rushed through his head.

Humming a soft tune, he began to heat a kettle, softly opening the box. "Steven!" A voice yelled, startling Steven into dropping the box. "What the!- oh. Hey Amethyst." Steven sighed, running a hand through his soft hair as he picked the box up. "What cha' doing?" She asked.

"Oh, just getting some food." Steven answered, turning his back on the gem to grab the kettle. "Well, uh.. If I'm being honest, I'm only here because Pearl has to do something and she asked me to check on you." Amethyst admitted, a short laugh laugh escaping her lips as a distant look glinted in her eyes. "Oh. Well, I'm fine. You can go." Steven said, pouring the water into the bowl with the food in it.

An offended look came across Amethyst, before she shrugged and turned around, not bothering to grab an umbrella as she walked our onto the rain, which pounded the earth. Grabbing his food, Steven walked over to the couch, slowly stirring the Mac. As the steam rose by his face, he closed his eyes a leant back, wondering what he would do. Hm. No one other than Jasper, Aquamarine and Eyeball need help. But they're not willing to take it. He thought, chewing on some of his food.

Steven flinched as the sound of his fork on the bottom of the bowl met his ears. Looking down, he realised he had eaten all his food while he pondered. Getting up, he proceed to walk to the sink and begin to wash up. "Maybe I could look for another hobby?" He thought aloud, his hands going into auto pilot while his mind raced.

There's... no one who really needs me anymore.. Steven cringed as the unwanted thought pierced his mind. No.. I don't need to be needed! He argued back, his hand beginning to shake as he placed the empty bowl away. Steven staggered back to the couch, unwanted thoughts coming crashing through. "No.. no!" He wailed, gripping his hair with his fists. The thoughts became a headache. Steven curled up into a ball and fell onto his side, attempting to even his breathing. "I'm fine.. you're fine.." He breathed, slowly opening his eyes.

He slowly pushed himself up, and walked to the bathroom to wash his hands. Closing and locking the door behind him, he turned on the faucet and let the warm water run down his hands. With a sigh, he opened his eyes a crack and stared into the mirror. His eyes flew open and he knocked the tap, which quickly began to pour scalding water onto his hands. Steven yelped and slapped it, turning it off. His eyes refocused to the mirror. His reflection stared back, equally as horrified.

His eyes had a pink tint, and his teeth were beginning to look pointy on the end. Steven shook his head and turned the tap on again, splashing his face with cold water. He looked back up in the mirror and began to settle, seeing his eyes and teeth looking.. normal again. Scratching his neck, Steven strolled up the stairs and sat on his bed. "What was that?" He asked himself, beginning to panic. "No.. it was just a hallucination. I'm sure of it!" He reasoned with himself, flopping onto his bed.

"I'll just have a rest and clear up my mind." He decided, pulling himself onto his pillow. Looking out the window, the sound of the rain lulled him into a deep sleep.