"Yeah. I love you." The other didn't reply as she left; either she didn't hear him or she didn't have enough energy to respond.

.

Taylor rested his head against the wall, eyes lingering on Lexie as she closed her eyes for a moment. It was a bad day for her and he frowned. He had suggested a different case, even offered Emily to take her place for Sloan but the woman refused. Hunt paced up and down between the chairs before returning to where Derek and Mark stood. Emily's knees were bent, her arms resting on them and her hands clasped between them as they waited for the Chief to come out. She sat on the other side of the door, the one closer to her friends as Reed spoke first.

"Someone's getting fired." The comment was said in a frank manner, as if the truth but the tone it held suggested it would be one of the Seattle Grace people. April shook her head slightly, gazing at the floor in front of her.

"Stop it."

"She wasn't even my patient," Charles remarked and Cristina raised her head from where it rested against her first.

"What?"

"Nothing," he snorted, glaring back at her as the two held a stare down. Breathing deeply, Emily leaned back against the wall. Lexie sent her a worried glance and she shook her head. The older brunette glanced up at Taylor who was sitting near the end of the hall with the other attendings.

"How long is this gonna take?" complained Alex and Emily shot him a look before glancing at the pocket that held his phone. He nodded; Izzie called him today. He had no time to lose. But Jackson didn't know the full story and the beginnings of a smirk showed, sending a smart-ass remark without missing a beat.

"Why, you need to make a phone call?" His friend beside him snickered, concealing his smile by looking down but they all heard it in the silence of the night. There was a long pause where no one moved. Emily caught Jackson's gaze. Before she could say anything, Alex lunged forward. He was on the man in two seconds, holding him down as Taylor sprung up, trying to wrench him , Mark, and Hunt tried to rip them apart. Emily pushed past everyone, standing between the two and trying to shove them apart. Mark saw what she was doing and pushed a hand against Charlie - who had stood up to defend his friend - and Alex, keeping them an arm's distance apart.

It was chaos. Cristina and Reed barking at each other while April exchanged blows with Lexie. Derek wrapped his arms around Alex, successfully holding him to the wall while Mark and Hunt held onto Jackson. They kept lunging at each other but they were barred by the attendings. Emily felt her head pulse at the commotion, pushing the two fighters away again as the Chief left the office. Twisting Jackson's arm around to keep him from fighting she shoved him into the chairs as Dr. Webber exited the conference room.

"That's enough!" When they didn't obey, he yelled again, "I said that's enough! What happened tonight - what happened to that patient, was inexcusable. And we're gonna be here till I find out who's responsible for it." By now, everyone was subdued and no one could look each other in the eye except the ones who were mediators. Emily let go of Jackson's wrist and he shook it out with a half-hearted glare. "So until then, you will sit down, you will shut up and you'll wait to be called." They did so. Jackson rolled his shoulder while Alex pulled his shirt down. "Hunt, Jacks." They were both red-faced as Taylor and Owen brushed past them all to follow the Chief. The blond man rested a hand on Lexie's shoulder briefly before she sat down as Cristina stood up to share brief words with her boyfriend.

Deciding to stand beside Mark, she followed him down the hall and he wrapped arms around her shoulders, clasping them to hold her tightly. She rested her ear against his chest, feeling the beats of her heart and his, slim arms slithering around his waist. "Someone's going to go down for this,"