Chapter Fifty Nine

Start from the beginning

I hardly even realised I was being lifted onto the stretch bed. I hadn't even noticed it rolling towards me. It was as though I was a zombie. I just lay there. All I could see in my mind was the life draining from his eyes. The looked of pain on his face. The sound of Daniel's broken screams, echoing viciously around inside my head as if gnawing its way out through my skin. Eating me up inside.

He was a bad man, yes, but no one deserved to die like that. I stared up at the ceiling of the ambulance, just thinking. I was so deep in thought that it literally only felt like seconds until we reached the hospital.

I was wheeled into a room. I heard them talking and I looked down, seeing the blood. I felt queasy and the urge to vomit was getting stronger. I squeezed my eyes shut, as I just know, these stitches were going to kill.

THREE HOURS EARLIER

"Emma, I know you've been through a lot," the Officer said to me in a slow, deep voice. "But you need to answer as much as you can. Where were you coming from when you walked passed the house?"

"From Britney Chevalier's." I forced out, trying to make my mouth work. It was as though parts of my face weren't responding to my commands.

Relief flashed across his eyes as he finally got a solid answer from me. He began scribbling down on his notebook. I kind of wish I could see what he was writing in there. He had been taking notes ever since I sat down, about half an hour ago. "And why were you there?"

"Because we went to the movies and I stayed the night at her house." I answered almost robotically. My voice was bland and my face expressionless. I couldn't smile. I couldn't hardly move. I just felt like a talking statue.

"Okay and why were you walking past the house?"

"Because I pass it on the way to mine."

"Okay. Did you hear anything or see anything before he captured you?"

"No." I said bluntly. "It all happened really fast."

"Alright." he sighed. "I guess you can go. Your father is out waiting for you. We managed to retrieve your shopping bags."

Ha, my shopping bags. They were the least of my worries right now. I guess it was thoughtful for them to grab them, throughout all the commotion that we all endured through. I nodded at him.

"Okay."

He gave me one last worried look, before he stood and led me to his office door. He swung it open and I walked out, with stiff legs. As soon as I was in Dad's sight, he engulfed me with a bear hug. He ran his hands through my hair, tightening his grip.

"Thank God you're okay." he croaked out.

After what felt like an eon, he let me go. When I took a step back as new, tanned arms hooked themselves around me. I was overwhelmed with the smell of perfume. Long blonde hair filled my vision and I closed my eyes, just inhaling.

Mum.

I felt myself hug her tightly back. I buried my face into the crook of her neck. We stayed like that for a long time, before slowly releasing each other. Dad wrapped a secure arm around my shoulder and guided me out to the car, as if afraid I was going to have a mental break down or start running around, screaming.

They were speaking to me, but I wasn't listening. I rested my forehead on the cool glass of the window and just watched the surroundings fly by. I shook my head. I can't believe what I went through today.

And I didn't even have Jason with me to make me feel better.

NOW