Chapter Fifty One

*** 2020 EDIT: I haven't touched this book (too cringe lmao) since 2014 but SOMEHOW people are still reading (and some, maybe only a few haha) are enjoying it and many of you have asked for the last chapters--this book was once published and the final chapters were removed but I have since discontinued my publishing contract with the company and didn't have the copies of the chapters for a long time but I have them now and I am posting them back on here by request! I'm sorry it took me so long to do it, I honestly can't stand to read any of this book. It was my first ever attempt at a novel when I was fourteen. Amazing learning experience for me at the time but I just can't read over it lmao. Anyway, please enjoy the final chapters! ***

Jason's POV:

I watched with a sour expression as Chase was grinning and charming the pants off the coach. My fists were clenched and my teeth gritting against each other. The impulse to punch him was getting stronger and stronger by the minute.

I was absolutely seething.

He glanced over at me momentarily, our eyes connecting. He smirked at me, which almost had my blood boiling. My eyes narrowed into slits and my upper lip curled in anger. I wanted to hear the satisfying crunch of my fist connecting with his nose.

"You'll be fine." Alex's voice snapped me out of my mental rage. I flickered my eyes to him, trying to reposition a calm and collected look.

"Hmph."

"You're blitzing anyway. You just gotta relax-"

"Breathe and focus. Got it." I said through a clenched jaw, trying to maintain my easy-going facade. Usually I was, until it got down to something I really wanted. I've always wanted to be on this relay team for years and now it's practically official and this goose comes along, trying to sabotage it.

I wonder how good he'd go if his kneecaps were accidentally broken...

"Chin up." Alex said, giving me a lopsided grin. "Think positive."

He clapped my back, which seemed to be a regular thing these guys did, causing me to flinch slightly. I needed to go relax. With a deep sigh, I padded over to my bag, in search of my phone. I quickly texted Emma to come and meet me here if she wasn't busy.

I needed her presence to help calm me. I got a reply instantly, telling me that she was on her way. A small smile crept onto my face and I dropped down onto the bench, leaning back. I closed my eyes and shifted, trying to get comfortable. I felt a shadow flick over me and with a frown, opened my eyes.

Chase beamed down to me. "Hey there Jase."

I re-adjusted my position and stared up at him. "Chase."

"Jase and Chase. They rhyme."

I didn't reply, instead gave him an impassive stare.

"Why so cold?" he asked in a sweet voice, rocking backwards and forwards on the balls of his feet. I made a face at him.

"Because I don't like you."

"Harsh words."

"Get out of my face."

"Why don't you make me?" he challenged, quirking an eyebrow. His lips tilted into a smirk. "I dare you."

I rose in one fluid moment, my hand literally shaking, dying to swing out and lash at him. My arms were trembling as I tried to refrain from hitting him. The tension between us two was so thick, that in the back of my mind, I was wondering if any of the other team mates could see it. Or feel it.