Chapter 29 - Father's Country

ANNA

Eustace was telling something to us but I wasn't paying attention. I was captivated of the path leading to Father's country. The white water was covered in white lilies, just like how Mother told us when I was a child. I have always wanted to see Father's country, but him and Mother always told me and Adrian that his country is not ready to meet us yet, which I do not understand why.

I was brought out of my thoughts when we reach the shore of Father's country. "My friends, we have arrived," Reepicheep announces.

We walk onto shore and there is a huge wave in front of us. This wave never crashed and it was continuous. It was never-ending and it stretches on both directions. We all walk towards the wave with curiosity and I feel a strong presence behind us.

"Aslan," Eustace looks behind him and we all turn to see Father walking by us.

"Welcome, children. You have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far and now your journey is at its end," Father stands in front of us.

"Is this your country?" Lucy asks him. "No, dear one. My country lies beyond," Father looks at the never-ending wave.

I would love to see his country, but he said that his country is not ready to meet me yet. "Is my father in your country?" Caspian asks him.

"You can only find that for yourself, my son. But you should know that if you continue, there is no return," Father warns him.

As soon as he said that, Adrian and I look at each other with the same realization. It all made sense. We now understood why Father said that his country was not ready to meet us. We have to be worthy enough to go to his country and that depends on our death.

Caspian looks over at me and Adrian and walks towards the wave. I hold onto Adrian's hand. "Will he actually do it?" I ask him. "I don't know."

He enters his hand in the wave and takes it out. He turns back to us with his head hanging low. I knew it. He can't do it. It's too soon. He knew that it wouldn't be the right choice for him.

"You're not going?" Edmund asks him.

"I can't imagine that my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for. I spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom, people and friends." He looks at all of us and then at Father. "I promise to be a better King."

"You already are," Father says. He turns to Eustace and the Pevensies. "Children?"

Lucy steps forward, smiling. She was going to say something, but Edmund intervenes. "I think perhaps its time we went home actually, Lu." Lucy's face fall.

"But I thought you loved it here," She says. "I do. But I love home and our family as well. They need us."

"Lucy, Emma, Edmund is right. The time has come. First, it was Peter and Susan, and now, it is time for the three of you," I tell her.

Reepicheep politely interrupts us and bows in front of Father. "Your Eminence, ever since I can remember, I have dreamt of seeing your country. I have had many great adventures in this world, but nothing has dampened that yearning. I know I am hardly worthy but with your permission, I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes."

"My country was made for noble hearts such as yours, no matter how small their bearers be," Aslan tells him. "Your Majesty," Reepicheep bowed to him.

"No one could be more deserving," Adrian bows his head to him. "Well I--" Reepicheep began.

"It's true," I bow to him and he returns it. "You are worth it, Reepicheep," Caspian says and bows to him. "You always were," Edmund bows to him. Emma and Lucy kneels down in front of him. "May I?"

"Well I suppose, just this----" Both of the girls cut him off by hugging him. He's surprised but returns their hug. "Goodbye Lucy. Goodbye Emma." They both release him.

Eustace kneels down in front of Reepicheep, shedding tears. "Don't cry," Reepicheep tells him.

"I don't understand. Will I not see you again? Ever?" Eustace asks with sadness.

"What a magnificent puzzle you are. And a true hero. It has been my honor to fight beside such a brave warrior and a great friend." Eustace smiles and stands up with tears still in his eyes.

After that, Reepicheep walks across the sand to the wave. There was a small boat just for him and he removes his sword, pushes the boat onto the wave and he paddles himself up on the boat without falling out. The wave lovingly takes him and he looks back at us with a smile and disappears behind the wave.

"This is our last time here, isn't?" Lucy asks Father.

"Yes. The three of you have grown up. Just like Peter and Susan," He tells her and just hearing his name makes me wish that he would come back.

"Will you visit us in our world?" Emma asks him.

"I shall be watching you always," He tells them.

"How?" Emma asks.

"In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason you were brought to Narnia. That knowing me here for a little, you would know me better there."

"Will we meet again?" Lucy asks. "Mm, yes, dear one. One day."

Father turns to the wave and roars. The water parts and forms a tunnel. The Pevensies and Eustace walk up to us.

"You are the closest thing I have to family," Caspian tells the siblings. "And that includes you, Eustace." He claps him on the shoulder. "Thank you," Eustace replies with a smile.

One by one, the siblings gives Caspian and I a hug. "Thanks for looking out for me, Edmund," I tell him. "You are like my sister. I care about you," he hugs me again and kisses me on the forehead. 

Lucy walks over to me and her eyes were red with tears. "Lucy...." I immediately hug her. I will definitely miss her. She became my younger sister that I've always wanted and now, I will never see her again. "Take care of yourself, ok?" I tell her and she nods. We separate and Emma walks over to me.

She also hugs me. "Take care of yourself and the kids," She says and I stiffen in her embrace. "How did you---"

"I overheard you and Adrian talking. Don't worry, I won't tell Peter anything. Just promise me that you will take care of yourself and the twins," She whispers back and I smile in the embrace. 

"I will accept this command of the aunt," I tell her and she chuckles and we separate from each other. 

When it came to Emma and Adrian, they both did not hold back their emotions. "You know, I never understood what kind of pain and separation that Peter and Anna were going through, but I guess I will know now," Emma starts. "Adrian, I will always love you, no matter what."

"And I will always love you. I promise you that you will always be the wife of Sir Adrian. I will never marry another woman. I only have wife and she is the queen of Narnia. I love you Emma."

"I love you too," she says quietly and leans her forehead against his and they both share a kiss. Lucy gives a big hug to Father and kisses him on the face and quickly separates herself from him.

Eustace walks towards the wave, stops and looks back at Father. "Will I come back?" He asks him.

"Narnia may yet have need of you," Father says and stands between Adrian and Caspian. Eustace smiles and the four of them turn back to see us and we watch them until the wave closes and becomes normal.

They're actually gone and we will never see them again. Never...........ever.