Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

"Oh god," I covered my face with my hand "Stop making me laugh!" I giggled.

"Hey, it's not my fault you find almost everything I say hilarious." Riley chuckled.

We were walking in the street hand-in-hand on our way to a restaurant to pick up some take out. I asked Riley if we could walk because I hadn't realized how much I'd miss seeing the stars until I lost my sight. But now with my 20-20 vision I could see all the stars and the low hanging crescent moon and it was just beautiful.

"You make me feel like I'm back in middle school." I beamed. "That's a good thing." I added.

Riley put an arm around my shoulders. "You don't know how happy it makes me to see you smile."

I looked up at him, "You don't know how good it feels to smile again." I spotted the cute Asian restaurant and my stomach growled on cue.

"Wow, Jolene, when did you swallow a monster, babe?" Riley teased poking my sides causing me let out a cackling laugh.

"If you do that again, I will eat you." I warned jokingly. Riley laughed with that familiar twinkle in his beautiful eyes.

"Come on." he coaxed.

"You go ahead, I saw a little shoe store back there that I wanna scope out."

"It's closed." he pointed out.

"Uhm...window shopping." I said lightly.

"Oh yeah, that's a thing." I rolled my eyes at his obvious distaste for my methods of shopping. "Ok, go window shop," he said with a chuckle. "We'll meet up after I get the food."

"Cool." Riley pulled me into an embrace before placing a small kiss on the top of my nose.

"Button nose." he whispered. I may or may not have internally turned into a puddle of jelly. He pulled away and started slowly sauntering towards the restaurant. "I'll be back." he called.

"Make it snappy." I teased before turning to walk down the street to the little store.

I stopped at the window that had Sole Indulgence written in pink cursive on it.

"I'd love to indulge in a pair of those babies." I thought aloud, looking at the pair of peep-toe studded stilettos. I stood there for a while just scanning the window but I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched off. That was when I saw the reflection of a figure in the window. I spun around so quickly and became sick to my stomach when I saw the person in front of me.

"Jolene Marks." he said.

"L-Luke." I croaked. I watched his lips curl into a sadistic smile. It made me sick.

Luke Parolta. The alpha of my parent's pack and sadly my ex. He had perfectly groomed bleach blonde hair on his head accompanied by emerald eyes and a smile that would make any girl weak in the knees.

"It's so good to see you." he took a step forward and I automatically took one back. His smile faded and his eyes darkened. "Don't tell me you're scared of me." he added.

I didn't speak. I couldn't. He just brought back memories that were best left alone in a ditch in the back of my mind.

"You still have that 'deer in the headlights' look to you...weak...so weak." just hearing his voice made me wanna curl up into a ball and hide. "Are you here alone?" he asked. I just blinked. "Answer me." he growled, I flinched.

"No." my throat was suddenly dry.

"Of course you're not alone. Why would a pathetic little human be out in the dark alone?" he spat. I turned to walk away to the restaurant as fast as I could. Too bad he was much faster.