Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Running.

Breathless and running.

It was dark and I was barefoot running from a white wolf. I could barely breathe but I didn't stop running. At the edge of the woods I could see figures. I stopped in my tracks. Something told me run away from the figures and the wolf. I turned and ran in a different direction, away from both. The wolf and the figures were chasing me.

Cornered.

There was no where to go, just a wall that came out of nowhere. The wolf and the figures caught up with me. It wasn't the first time that I had seen this wolf but the figures were draped in black cloaks, the hoods pulled up the darkness that I assumed were the faces. Embers of coal were the only thing that I could identify as eyes.

The figures approached me with coal in their hands...they wanted me sear my eyes. The wolf backed away as I was backed up against the wall, screaming and crying. I fell to the cold ground as they kept approaching. I curled into a little ball and screamed some more.

I wouldn't let them burn my eyes. I couldn't see myself in a cloak with nothing but embers as eyes. I screamed as one of their cloaks brushed my legs.

"Jolene!" Riley's voice brought me back to reality. I was crying hysterically, my throat was sore from screaming in my sleep. My eyes hadn't opened and I shut them harder as a fresh wave of tears came flooding in. I felt Riley pull me into his lap as I sobbed uncontrollably. "It was just a dream." he rocked me back and forth slowly. "Shhh, just a dream. You're okay." he cooed.

My breathing was uneven. Riley's hand moved slowly over my hair. "I'm sorry." I managed to get out.

"Don't apologize." he placed a small kiss on the top of my head.

I opened my eyes and what I saw nearly gave me a heart attack.

Black.

"Riley?" I asked nervously trying not to panic.

"Hmm?"

"I can't see." my voice cracked.

"What?" his hand stopped moving.

"I can't see...all I see is black."

"You can't see the light, you can't see me...nothing?"

My breathing started accelerating as I felt the tears threatening to return. "Nothing." I choaked out.

"Come on, you need to go to Madison." he ushered me off of the bed and took my hand. We started walking really quickly.

I was panicking...I couldn't see...I was blind. Pure blackness, no matter how hard I tried opening my eyes. I was crying again.

I stubbed my toe on the railing by the stairs. "Ouch." I mumbled I then cried some more. I didn't cry because it hurt, I cried because I couldn't see where I was going. I felt Riley's arms lift me up and he ended up carrying me down the stairs like we were newly-weds.

When we got to the bottom of the stairs and Riley didn't put me down or stop walking I started panicking again.

"No, I don't want to go outside." I moaned.

"It'll be easier to get to Madison from her office."

"No, Riley, put me down."

"Jo-"

"Please!" I started crying again. He put me down on the couch.

"Okay, I'm sorry." his tone made me wonder what his face looked like at that very moment.

"I'm sorry. Riley, I just...I can't..." I broke into sobs. "I can't be blind."

He came to sit next to me and put an arm around me. "Don't worry, I called Madison through the pack link, she'll be here." I crying had subsided but it was still there. "Don't cry, it's okay." he was comforting me but I wouldn't be completely at ease until I could see his beautiful face again. 

30 minutes later...

"Riley, sweety, stop pacing, you're creating a draft." Madison said as she examined my eyes.

"Sorry." he mumbled.

Madison's hands left my face and she sighed. "I'm sorry honies but I have never, in all my years as a werewolf specialist, seen this. Your eyes are fogged over to the point where I can't differentiate between your pupil and the white of you eye."

Her words brought more tears to my eyes.

"Riley, can I talk to you in the kitchen?" she asked. He didn't reply, I just heard them shuffle out of the room. I hugged my knees close to my chest as I sat on the couch in darkness. The lights were on but I was in darkness and that scared me.

I strained to listen in on their conversation. I could only catch a few words before I heard a loud bang.

"That won't help. You need to get a witch specialist in here as soon as possible so that you get your mate the help she needs.That girl is scared right now and losing your temper won't help anybody. I will help you get somebody on the phone who has studied people like her, they'll know what to do." Madison's voice was hushed but I heard every word clearly.

"People like me?" I asked loudly so that they could both hear. "What kind of people are those?" there was venom dripping from each of my words.

I wasn't angry at them...I was angry that I was like this and that I didn't know what to do.

A blind werewolf-witch hybrid. Great. I got up and felt my way to the stairs. I felt Riley's hand on mine. I jerked away.

"Please don't." I felt my way up the stairs to a bedroom I hoped was mine and lay on the bed.

How and why did I go blind? I didn't understand it!

A/N Hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't been uploading. I won't even lie, I hit a writer's block with this book but now I've got the ball rolling again so let us do this. Please keep reading and let me know what you think.

Vote and comment.

xoxo

K