Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

We had taken grandma Sylvie to Madison, the head doctor, and she  had said that Sylvie was fine but nobody else thought that. She was still going on with her theory that I was a witch.

We were all seated in the living room. The house was cleared and the rest of the pack were allowed to socialize outside while we had to sit here to watch Sylvie.

"Mother, please." Alexis said annoyed. She was standing next to Ray and they were looking at Sylvie like she was a crazy child.

"Watch your tone, young lady, I am still your mother. " Sylvie retorted pointing a finger at Alexis. "And I'm not crazy, I know what I'm seeing." she turned to the sofa Riley and I were sharing. "I'm seeing my grandson mated to a witch."

Riley sighed. "Grandma, please stop saying that, we've told you a million times that she's not a witch." he was obviously frustrated. I was more embarrassed than anything. I averted my eyes from looking at her.

Everyone thought Sylvie had lost her mind. After she had said that I was a witch, we didn't let her out of our sight. I personally thought she was old and maybe a little wonky but I wasn't taking any of her comments personally like "She looks like she doesn't eat meat." or  "What kind of pups would she produce?" the insults were just never ending.

I squeezed Riley's hand and he gave me a sympathetic look. The front door opened and the footsteps approached the living room.

"You don't think it's over, do you?" I recognized the voice immediately. I jumped up to give my mom and dad huge bear hugs. They both returned them, laughing.

"You guys made it." I said happily.

"Wouldn't miss it." my dad said with a smile on his face. I frowned when I looked behind them and Alicia wasn't there.

"She couldn't make it." mom explained. I was about to ask why Alicia wasn't with them when,

"Jolene, who is it?" Alexis called. I pulled my parents into the living room where I introduced them to Alexis,  Ray and Sylvie. I walked to Riley to grab his hand and face my parents.

"This is Riley." I said a little nervous. He gave my dad a firm handshake.

"Pleasure to meet you, sir." he said as politely as he could.

"Likewise." my dad replied.

Before my mother could introduce herself Sylvie stood up and walked to my mother, studying her carefully.

"You've produced a hybrid." she said dreamily. Mom looked slightly uncomfortable.

"Pardon?"

"Your daughter is a witch." she said. My mom gasped quietly.

"Mother." Alexis grabbed Sylvie's arm and seated her on the couch across the room. "I'm so sorry, Josephine." she said to mom who had a stunned look on her face. Mom turned to look at me.

"She called you a..." she couldn't muster the word.

"Witch." I said for her. Mom's face fell and became emotionless. "Mom?" I called. She remained in her frozen trance.

"Jo!" Dad said. She didn't respond. "Josephine?" he touched her shoulder and she looked like she was about to cry.

"It's not possible." she breathed sinking onto the couch. "It's not possible." she repeated. I went over to crouch in front of her while everybody else sported concerned looks.

"What's not possible, mom?" I asked her gently. She looked at me like she was really sorry but I didn't know what she was sorry about.

"Sylvie's right." she said so quietly, I didn't think anyone else heard. My throat went dry, I got up and took a step back from her.

"What?" I was so confused. Mom looked at me once again, she looked so fragile.

"Sylvie's right." she repeated. "You are a witch." her words punctured my heart and I fell to my knees. Riley was at my side in seconds as I fought hard to keep the tears at bay.

I didn't know what to think.

"Can they get a sec?" Riley said to his parents, Sylvie and my dad.

"But-" Alexis was about to object.

"Clear the room." Riley said in something that sounded less like a command and more like a growl. Everyone exited, my dad gave mom a final kiss on the cheek before leaving her and giving Riley the stink eye. Riley was about to get up but I held onto his hand.

"Stay." I mumbled. There was a silence before Riley helped me onto the couch. He held my hand and I looked up at him before looking to my mother who had her head bent over.

"Mom?" I called. She didn't move. "Mom." she shook her head slightly. "Look at me!" my voice was cracking and I didn't know what to do to stop myself from crying. She looked up and her face was tear stained. "What aren't you telling me?" I breathed.

"I'm sorry, baby, I am so sorry." she had a fresh wave of tears rolling down her cheeks.

"What's going on?" I whispered. "Why did you say Sylvie was right?"

"Because she is. You are a witch but I didn't think it was possible." I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"It doesn't sound possible, there hasn't been any witches around these parts for hundreds of years." Riley added.

"I also didn't think it was possible but here we are." Mom replied.

"Are you saying that dad isn't my real father or you aren't my real mother?" My heart ached at the thought.

"No, no, we're both your biological parents." she said quickly.

"Then how can I be a witch?" I asked, agitated.

"Because my mother was witch." she said after a long pause.

"What?" I didn't know how else to respond.

"My father had an affair with a witch. She became pregnant with me and gave me up when she realized that my wolf blood was dominant. If she wanted to live, she had to give me up or else she and I would've been killed by her coven." her eyes were overflowing with tears as were mine. "My adoptive parents never thought much of it because my wolf blood was dominant. I wanted to tell you that your biological grandmother was a witch but when you shifted for the first time I didn't think it mattered because that meant your wolf blood was also dominant but I was wrong..." she wanted to speak but was breathless and sobbing.

I looked away. My mother was a werewolf-witch hybrid but who's werewolf blood was stronger than her witch blood. I wanted to cry for her because she never really knew her biological parents and she had kept it all bottled up.

"The witch blood skipped a generation and is active in you." she said finally.

"What does that even mean?" I wined.

"You're the only living werewolf-witch hybrid to possess traits from both species." Sylvie said from behind us. I whipped my head around to see her standing there, looking at me like I was a fragile baby. "As I live and breathe, the legends are true." she breathed.

What legends? I looked to my mother and back at Sylvie who had bowed her head. What was going on?

A/N What an interesting chapter, quite a back story. I hope you'll all like it because it was hard to write it .

Vote and comment

xoxo

K