Chapter 5

A/N Hey guys so this chapter will have all the pieces coming together, everything that you were confused about will be put straight in this chapter, hope you'll find in enlightening.

Remember to vote and comment. It means a lot.

xoxo

K

Chapter Five

I knocked on the door nervously and waited for somebody to open. My heart beat sped up as I heard foot steps approach the door. The door swung open and my mother stood there, with her face scrunched up in confusion.

"Jolene?" she studied me carefully. "What are you doing here?" she moved back letting me walk passed her. "And you brought a friend." she said setting her eyes on Riley. He shook her hand confidently.

"I'm not her friend, I'm her mate. Riley O'Connor." he said politely.

"O'Connor?" she asked. He nodded. "Mate?" she turned to me.

"That's why we're here. I can't have a mate. I don't have a wolf anymore."

Mom sighed and ran a hand through her dark hair. I had to admit, I did look a lot like her. I had the same button nose and blue eyes. My favourite similarity was definitely the naturally pink lips. I never had to put any lipstick on.

We were seated in the living room and the house was so foreign to me. I grew up in this house but after I had turned 16 and my shift went wrong, it was like a stranger's house to me. Riley was seated next to me with Mom sitting on the opposite side of the coffee table.

"So let me get this straight, Riley O'Connor is your mate and he happens to be alpha of a rival pack?" she asked. Riley and I both nodded. "Now he marked you like half an hour ago and you don't think it's possible yet the boy seems completely convinced?" we nodded once again. Mom stood up. "Clearly there's a lack of communication between you two because Riley doesn't know why you won't get it into your head that he's your mate and he doesn't know why you keep saying you can't be his mate." She put her hands on her hips.

I felt Riley turn his head to look at me so I looked down at my bare feet. I didn't put the heels back on after I suggested we speak to my parents about this whole situation.

"I'm going to the kitchen to make some snacks and wash the dishes. You two will sit here and tell each other everything, okay? Okay." she walked out of the room before we could protest. I closed my eyes and let out a heavy sigh.

"She's right. We're not communicating." he took my hand and moved his thumb gently on the top of it.

"Riley, this isn't possible. I can't be-"

"You can't be my mate?" I sighed when he cut me off. "You're wrong, Jolene."

"But-"

"Listen first." he said softly. I had a feeling that he was't going to let me speak before I listened. I nodded. "Look, I'm an alpha, I don't want to sound big-headed but I'm never wrong."

"Never is a strong word, maybe you're right like 90 percent of the time." I mumbled. He shook his head.

"No, I'm one hundred percent sure about this. You're my other half, that I'm sure of." I looked up at him and he looked so sure. I sighed.

"But this won't work. I can't shift...not anymore." I felt him gently squeeze my hand as if he was telling me to keep speaking. I took a deep breath. "Two years ago, when I turned 16, I shifted for the first time. The thing is, I couldn't control the wolf so my aunt tried to help out but I..." I bit back the tears. "I lost complete control and the wolf killed her. I killed her. " I sniffed as a stray tear rolled down my cheek.

Riley's arm went over my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. "When I finally gained enough control to shift back, my aunt was dead and I couldn't face the fact that my wolf, mine, me, I had killed her. I cut the link with my wolf right there and then."

"I'm so sorry." he cooed. My eyes were moist and my voice was wavering.

"I tried to connect with her again, Riley, I really tried but I've never linked with the wolf again. I haven't shifted again after that."

"Shh, I'm sorry you went through that." he was rocking me back and forth slightly. I regained my composure and wiped my tears away. "So I can't shift...why would you want a broken mate?" I wanted to stand but Riley's words stopped me.

"You're not broken. You're perfect." he squeezed my hand again and my lips curled into a small smile. "You don't have to shift for me or for anyone. But please, come to my pack house, they need a Luna and you are perfect."

"Riley," I wanted to argue but Mom cut me off.

"He's right." I looked up at her. "You are his mate, I can see it in his eyes, the way he looks at you." she said setting some cocktail sandwiches on the coffee table. "His pack will need a Luna, you're marked already. You need to give him a chance. Don't reject him just yet." She sat down across from us again. "Be with him for a while, meet his pack and then you can decide."

"But I can't-" I was about to protest.

"You heard what he said, Jolene. It doesn't matter if you shift or not." she was speaking in a stronger tone.

She was right. I knew very well how mating worked. When you knew, you knew and Riley was sure he knew. Maybe this would work, he had said it was fine. I still wasn't sure but I was willing to give it a go.

"Fine." I said finally. "But just a few months with you and your pack. Then I'll decide." Riley and Mom beamed at each other. I had to give it a go.

"Nice hair, by the way." Mom added winking at me.