Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty Six

"Man, we need to figure out who did this and who they want from us. This isn't right." Max was sounding overly frustrated. I pushed the door open. Riley was sitting at his desk and Max was sitting across from him. They both looked at me when I walked in.

"What's wrong?" Riley asked. I drew a long breath before speaking.

"I know who did it." I confessed. They both looked at me expectantly. "Luke...Parolta." I finished. Riley's face hardened and so did Max's.

"Parolta? The douchebag alpha from the Bloodback pack?" Max asked. I nodded. "Well then who does he want?"

"Me." I said trying not to show any emotion. Riley's jaw clenched.

"What aren't you telling me?" he asked roughly.

"Alicia told me that Luke's set out on killing me...she said he's really pissed." I was avoiding Riley's glare.

"Wait, why does he want you dead, what did you do to piss him off?" Max was looking quite confused.

"That doesn't matter." Riley grumbled. "What matters is how we're going to stop him."

"That's the thing, you can't. Now that he knows that you can beat him one on one he'll play dirty, like the attack today." I was really feeling guilty about all the trouble I had brought with me.

"Well what are we supposed to do then?" Max's voice had risen.

"He declared a war when he attacked my pack. We're going to finish it." Riley was sounding determined.

"You guys don't get it. I don't want this 'war' to happen." Max and Riley looked at me like I was insane.

"He went for the extremes and so will we." Max said. I sighed. I was just about to ask them to not fight again when the door burst open.

"Riley, you have to see this." Kiara said with a panic stricken look on her. We all followed her downstairs and she led us outside where Madison, Alexis and Ronnie were crouched down on the floor looking at something. Riley pushed passed them and then froze. I strained to see what it was. I gasped loudly and took a few steps back. I covered my mouth as tears welled up in my eyes.

There was a girl lying on the pavement leading up to the door. She was unresponsive. Her skin had a blue tinge to it. She was dead. Her hair was blonde then progressed into brunette.

"Who is this?" Riley asked.

"Gemma Kramer. She's one of ours." Madison replied. "She left this morning and uhm...she's been deceased for a few hours. Her hair was honey blonde when she left, not like this. She's wearing blue contacts even though she left this morning with her normal green eyes." Madison looked at me then back at Riley. "She gave them a struggle before they killed her. She was uhm...beaten and cut before she was uhm..killed." Madison kept glancing at me.

She looked like me. The blue eyes, the hair...it was all me. I dropped to my knees and started sobbing. They were sending a message. I felt Alexis wrap her arms around me as she helped me up. I was still sobbing uncontrollably.

"Get her out of here." Riley ordered. Alexis and Kiara ushered me inside.

How could Luke do that? She was innocent and he just...he killed her.

My tears had dried and my breathing was uneven when I was helped onto the couch. I couldn't speak, I couldn't look at anyone or anything. I felt so guilty. If I hadn't been here then that girl would have never been killed. Tonight someone had lost a daughter, a granddaughter, a sister, a niece even a girlfriend. All because of me. People were talking to me, all I did was stare straight ahead.