A Step Forward

Because I think someone asked for it and you control me. Obviously. 🙄

***********************************

"Kennedy," Carter said, holding onto her daughter's arms. "Life is hard. I know that so many people believe that it should be easy but it never is." She brushed her thumb across Kennedy's cheek. "Some people will also tell you that you can't do something because you're not strong enough, brave enough, or smart enough. You must never listen to them."

Kennedy stared up at her mother, absorbing every word. Holding them all close. In the distance, Carter heard the ding of the elevator followed by the patter of footsteps. She was running out of time.

"You can do anything you set your mind to. You are strong, brave, smart and so much more. That's why I know you can succeed. Are you ready?"

A key fit into the lock and the door handle was turned. Carter extracted her daughter's chubby hand from her mouth and lifted her to her feet. Kennedy's fourteen-month-old legs wobbled experimentally, testing her own strength. The door to the apartment opened. Carter leaned closer to Kennedy.

"Go show daddy what you can do," she whispered.

Donovan entered and dropped his keys into the bowl. When he faced the pair sitting on the living floor, he brightened. Carter released Kennedy and she took an unsteady step forward followed by another. Donovan looked like someone had given him the world. He let his bag fall to the ground as he crouched down, arms wide open.

"Come here, Cadet," he said.

Kennedy shrieked with excitement and quickened her steps. Halfway there she teetered and Donovan rushed forward, scooping her up before she could fall.

"You did it!" he shouted as he tossed her in the air and caught her.

Kennedy let out another burst of laughter. Donovan covered her face with kisses making her giggle even more. Carter watched, her heart glowing even as it was tinged with a drop of sadness. Pushing herself to her feet, she joined the pair.

"Were you working on that all day?" Donovan asked her, still staring at Kennedy who was now exploring his face with her hands.

"We were. I was hoping she could show off her round-house kick but you know, baby steps."

Donovan tore his eyes away from his daughter and looked at Carter.

"Did you just make a pun?" he asked. Laughing, he kissed her cheek. "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?"

Carter shrugged. "She was learning something new, I figured I would join." She reached out for Kennedy, who already in her father's arms didn't seem inclined to leave the sanctuary of them. "We have to make a trip across the hall. I bet Mason that Kennedy would walk before Harrison despite Harrison being a month older."

Kennedy rested her cheek on Donovan's shoulder, one little hand clinging to his unbuttoned collar.

"I can't believe you actually bet on our children," Donovan said.

"Link was getting a bit smug and it was infecting Mason as well, so I planned to prove our daughter was better."

Donovan shook his head and looked down at his daughter. "What do you say, Cadet, want to start a never-ending rivalry between you and your future best friend?"

In answer, Kennedy stuck her fingers in her mouth.

"I take that as a yes," Carter said.

"Let me change first."