The Conclusion

"Agent Owens and I will secure the hostage," Donovan said. "For this to work we need to strike hard and strike fast."

He looked around at the group gathered before him. It was a collection of the FBI's finest operatives and men he had worked alongside for the past four years. After a week of hunting down who was behind Maddy's kidnapping and interrogating them, they had found her location.

"Our intel says that the hostage is being held in the basement," he continued. "But we will coordinate our attacks to fall at the exact same moment, we can not risk the hostage being shot. Is that understood?"

A round of nods was the response.

"You have your instructions, now suit up."

The squad dispersed and Donovan stepped away from the table with a map of their assault. The house they had commandeered was crowded with tactical equipment and smelled of metal and strong coffee. The sky was ink black outside. The quiet neighborhood remained unaware of the mass of FBI agents that were in their midst.

Near a row of bullet vests stood Carter, pulling one over her head. Donovan approached and reached out, tightening the straps for her. She looked up at him as his hands made quick work of the task.

"She's going to be fine," she said as if reassuring herself more than him.

"She will be."

"Link will be relieved he can leave the safe house."

Donovan grabbed his own vest and tugged it over his head. As he had helped her, Carter helped him, securing the straps. Though the help was not needed it had become something of a tradition, as if the gesture could be a physical reminder that the other was going to be okay. That they would make it out of any situation alive.

"I'm ready to leave the safe house," she said.

Donovan raised a taunting eyebrow. "I thought you were planning to stay so we had an excuse to elope."

"We can still elope once this is done." She cocked her head. "Though do you want to still have a traditional wedding?"

Donovan grabbed a gun holster and strapped it to his leg as Carter did the same.

"I would still like a normal wedding," he said.

"How about this," Carter said, straightening and placing her hands on her hips. "We'll fight for it. Whoever wins gets to decide what we do."

Donovan slid a gun into the holster and nodded. "Sounds fair enough."

"Good." Carter took a gun and loaded a clip into it. "Let's go get Maddy back."

The group assembled once more, checking equipment and connecting comm links. When satisfied, they slipped out of the apartment and into the night. The air was chilly and stirred the budding tree limbs, sending shadows skittering on the ground. Like silhouettes the agents cut through the neighborhood without a sound, approaching a solitary two-story house on the outskirts.

Donovan and Carter moved as one, their breaths in sync. As they neared their target, Donovan halted the group. They took cover, crouching beside houses. In the darkness barely anything could be seen, but Donovan felt Carter beside him.

"Bravo team," he said, "are you in position?"

A fizz of static filled Donovan's ear.

"Confirmed we are in position."

Donovan checked in with the remaining teams.

"We move in on my signal." He raised his gun, feeling as Carter shifted next to him, her body humming with energy. "Move out."