Going Out For Dinner

You wanted a Donovan and Mason interaction so that's what you got. Enjoy!

***********************************

Donovan sat at his desk in the office he shared with Carter typing up a report when Mason stuck his head in. Donovan glanced up but Mason was looking to Carter's empty desk, frowning. Donovan returned to his report. After a second, Mason spoke.

"Where's Carter?" he asked.

"She left a few hours ago to follow up a lead in Ohio."

"When will she be back?"

Donovan continued to type away. "In a few days."

"I'll come back then."

Retracting his head from the doorway, Mason vanished. Donovan didn't ponder for very long what Mason wanted with Carter. Their relationship was an odd one. From the outside, it looked like two dogs who constantly snapped at each other. Yet in some strange way that's why they were friends.

Mason reappeared a minute later, this time stepping fully into the office. Donovan didn't break his flow.

"You know I'll leave a note for her," he said.

"She has her phone," Donovan said.

Mason stole a piece of paper and started to scribble.

"It's a little too personal for a message."

When Donovan didn't comment on this remark, Mason stopped writing, Donovan didn't.

"Aren't you at all curious about what would be personal between your wife and me?"

"Sure, if I ever thought that there was a chance that you two would be involved."

"And you don't think we could be?"

Finally, Donovan paused and raised his head, looking at Mason blankly.

"Are you involved with my wife, Mason?"

"No!" Mason said as if the thought offended him.

"Then I don't care what you write to her."

Donovan typed out the last sentence of his report and sent it on. After clocking out and shutting down his computer, he rose and slid on his suit jacket. He grabbed his bag and keys and headed out of his office.

"Goodnight, Mason," he said.

But as he'd sensed, Mason didn't say goodnight. Instead, he trailed after Donovan. They both climbed onto the elevator.

"You want to get something to eat?" Mason asked. "It's on me."

"Sure."

Donovan leaned his shoulder against the wall and dug his phone out of his pocket. He sent off a quick text.

"You left me with Mason, come back now."

Before he could put his phone away it dinged.

"Good luck with that. He's been working up to something for the last two weeks. Why do you think I had to get away?"

"Is that Carter?" Mason asked, trying to see the screen.

Donovan shoved his phone away. "Yup."

"That's cute that you text each other," Mason said.

"Well, we are married."

"Naturally. There's a sushi place down the block, does that sound good? You'll like it, some of the best sushi I've ever had."