The Intern

Donovan really has to stop being so darn attractive, it's really distracting. And leads to awkward situations...

Also, I'm proud of Carter.

***********************************

Carter stepped out of the bathroom, tucking her shirt into her slacks as she went. It had taken her months working at the FBI to finally find a wardrobe that worked for the environment.

Once she had, she never went back. A fitted suit that let people know she was a woman but not fitted enough that whenever she walked by Donovan he'd lose his train of thought.

Though as Carter walked out of the hallway and to the kitchen, that seemed to be exactly what happened to Donovan. He leaned against the counter, phone and coffee mug in either hand and both forgotten on her arrival.

Carter bit back a smile as she moved to the cupboard and brought out a mug for herself. She went to the fridge and bent over to grab a yogurt. She walked to the drawers and pulled out a spoon. All the while Donovan trailed her with his eyes as if his sole task for that day was to watch her.

When she got close to him, he lowered his mug and phone to the counter and snagged her waist. He kissed her and Carter wrapped her arms around his neck, still holding her breakfast.

"I should go on three-week trips more often," she teased. "You seem to like me more when I get back.

Donovan held her waist and stared intently at her.

"I hate it when you leave. Don't do it again," he said firmly.

"Never," Carter said, pretending to be chastised.

He smiled slowly and kissed her again, taking his time. Carter didn't mind, breakfast wasn't that important after all.

"We should get to work," Carter said.

"What work? I believe I quit," Donovan said, between kisses.

"Cute. But you have a case you're about to crack and there's...Sloane."

The name instantly made Donovan stop. He dropped his head onto her shoulder, holding her tightly.

"We should work from home today," he said.

"Oh, but I'm so curious to meet her. She sounds delightful."

Donovan lifted his head and shook it. "An intern was supposed to make work easier and yet she had made the days more challenging. Her father is connected and...it's been the longest three weeks."

"Well, I'm sure once she sees your wife in physical form and not just mentioned form, she'll get the message."

Donovan looked tired and Carter kissed him lightly. What had this girl been trying to do? No matter, she would deal with it.

"It's okay," she said softly. "I'm back. It will be fine."

Relaxing a little, Donovan pulled back and grabbed his coffee. After Carter ate, they headed out, remaining quiet the whole way. In the elevator, Donovan stared at the ascending numbers as if he dreaded each floor change. The reason why came into view at the elevator stopped and the doors opened.

On the other side stood a striking, twenty-year-old girl, dressed in an outfit that accentuated her figure off to perfection. She beamed a flawless smile when she saw Donovan. She held out a Starbucks coffee cup.

"Good morning, Agent Keller," she said, not even noticing Carter. "What can I do to help you today?"

Oh and eager puppy.