Butting Heads

Because I could and you couldn't stop me, so ha! I do have the power! 💪

***********************************

A sole light lit the training center like the echo of the lone figure who stood in its illumination. Carter spun, lifting her leg and slamming her foot into the dummy's head, making it shudder. Bouncing on the balls of her feet, she stuck again at the ribs, side, and stomach. The beat of music kept time with her heart, keeping her energized, keeping her from thinking.

When more lights were turned on and the music shut off, Carter didn't react, continuing to pummel the dummy before her.

"Carter."

"You better have a good reason for turning off my music," she said, stepping in close and nailing the dummy in the face with her elbow.

"I do, will you turn around?"

Blowing at a strand of hair that fell into her face, Carter faced the entrance to the training room, hands on hips.

Mason stood there, arms crossed. Carter raised her eyebrows in question, not willing to offer him more than that.

"How about we get a drink?" he said.

Skeptical, Carter cocked her head at him. "Now why in the world would I do that?"

Mason shrugged. "Because I know how you get when your fiancé is out on an assignment without you."

Gut twisting at the reminder, Carter undid the velcro on her gloves and reattached them, pulling them tight.

"What do you want Mason?"

"You know what I want. I just told you-"

Carter lifted her head. "You have never once cared how I feel about Donovan being out in the field before, so you're here for another reason. Tell me or I'll go back to ignoring you."

Shaking his head, Mason took two steps towards her. "Fine." He let out a breath like he couldn't believe that he was going to say what he was about to say. "Will you...teach me to throw a punch?"

Carter blinked at him then burst out laughing. Crossing his arms, Mason rolled his eyes.

"Yes, ha ha it's very funny. Are you going to or not?"

"Mason, how do you not know how to throw a punch? You literally had a Secret Service agent by your side for eight years?"

Mason held up his hands. "Okay, I know how to throw a punch, I need a refresher course. Can you help me?"

Carter eyed him, still only half-convinced of his reasoning for being there. Mason held her gaze, unwavering. After a second, she nodded and motioned to the floor mat.

"Okay, let's give you a refresher then."

Mason wore a pair of khaki joggers and a t-shirt, Carter figured this would give him enough mobility that he wouldn't need to change.

"Okay, fall into your stance," she said.

When Mason didn't move, Carter sighed. "Legs apart, knees bents."

Mason did as instructed but poorly, so Carter had to come over and help against him.

"Watch where your hands are going, Carter," he said. "I know you're going to be a married woman soon, but I don't plan to be your final fling."

Smiling at him, she tripped his leg and he slammed into the mat. She leaned over him.

"Oh my love why must you say such cruel things," she mocked.