The Start of Something New

If you don't instantly start singing High School Musical then I'm not sure I can't talk to you right now.

The chapters: The Proposal, Asking Permission and Conflicted is referenced in here in case you want to refresh your memory.

***********************************

Donovan took a deep breath but it did nothing to alleviate the pressure inside his chest. Though he already knew the outcome, something about the step before him felt terrifying. It felt solid in a way that made him feel like he couldn't move. He pulled out his phone and sent a message.

Are you coming?

The responses were instant.

James: A couple of minutes out.

Clint: Pulling up now.

Brock: There in a minute.

The reassurance helped Donovan take another breath, this time the tightness eased a fraction. Clint walked up to him and squeezed his shoulder, somehow able to see his state in a single glance.

"This is a formality," he said.

Donovan ran a hand through his hair. "I know. But it's not at the same time."

At this, Clint merely nodded, not saying anything to try and dissuade otherwise. Donovan appreciated his brother more than ever at that moment.

James jogged up to them, a wide grin on his face.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

Donovan nodded but James laughed, jostling Donovan which brought out a smile from him.

"Liar. You look more terrified now than you did when you went to talk to Steve."

He felt terrified that day but this... This was different.

Brock strode up to the trio and took in Donovan.

"You have this," he said, simply. "Let's go."

He led the way into the store and Donovan barely made it beyond the doorway. Rows and rows of counters filled with hundreds of rings stretched out before him. How could there possibly be this many options? The amount overwhelmed Donovan and he took another breath. Clint again squeezed his shoulder.

"What are you thinking?" he asked.

He thought that this was real. He was seriously taking this step. He'd imagined it for so long. He'd planned for it since their twelfth date. She'd already said yes. Steve had already given his blessing. But this... It was permanent in a way he hadn't expected.

It was only a ring.

But it wasn't.

It was a sign to the world that Carter was promised to him.

That thought elated him and made him stressed.

Did he really deserve her?

"Yes," Clint said as if reading Donovan's mind. "Now, what are we looking for?"

Donovan took in a breath and let it out.

"Something simple. Nothing flashy. Not delicate. No raised diamonds. But something complex." He smiled softly. "Something like her."

"You got it, boss," James said, taking the left side.

The brothers all fanned out, peering into display cases. Attendants took out and put back selections. Finally, Donovan spotted something that he knew was perfect.