Meeting The Family (Part 2)

I suggest reading the previous chapter because they are connected.

Someone wanted me to write Carter meeting the family from Donovan's POV but I didn't want to so I wrote this instead, Enjoy!

***********************************

"James, if you eat another marshmallow you will have all the dishes," Donovan's mother said.

Donovan grinned, his back to the kitchen as he continued to peel potatoes. He won. The last count James had was 28 marshmallows while Donovan's count was 32.

"And Donovan," his mother said. "Don't for a second think I didn't notice you stealing marshmallows as well."

Donovan put on his best innocent face. "Mom, I wouldn't do that."

Carter snorted and his mother shook her head, leaning close to Carter. "He always thinks because he's the baby boy that I won't punish him."

Despite the embarrassing title, Donovan smiled, enjoying the sight of his mother and Carter connecting. Though he knew everyone in his family would like her, he'd been nervous. His family meant the world to him and now Carter did. He hadn't been sure what he would do if those two worlds clashed.

"She likes to think she's tough," Donovan said. "But my status has been a source of escape for a lot of troubles."

"Fine," his mother said. "Maybe I'll make up for my lack of punishment now, you can do the dishes all by yourself."

Brock, Clint, and James all burst out laughing. Donovan wrapped his arm around his mother's shoulders, always surprised to find he was taller than her.

"Mom," he said, gently. "You wouldn't want me to miss out on time with you and my girlfriend, would you? The two most important women in my life."

His mother rolled her eyes, though Donovan knew he'd won. Carter shook her head, a disbelieving smile in the corner of her mouth. When he locked eyes with her, she crossed her arms.

"Don't think for one second that those little teasing games are going to work on me. 'Cause I promise you, they won't."

Donovan grinned and kissed Carter on the cheek, eliciting an eye roll and a suppressed smile.

"Of course I would never dream they'd work on you," he said, even as he saw her soften.

"Can someone make him stop, I don't feel like throwing up my marshmallows all over these potatoes," James said.

Donovan smacked the back of James's head as he returned to his own pile of potatoes. In return, James kicked Donovan in the butt. Before they could break out into an all-out brawl in the kitchen, their mother cleared her throat. They both settled back into their tasks.

"Okay," Eleanor said. "Carter do you know how to handle a knife?"

"I can hit a target dead center at fifty yards with one," she said.

Donovan knew he was in love with this girl.

"And here I was completely baffled why my son was dating you," Eleanor teased. "How about cutting up vegetables?"

"Show me what to do and I can do it."

"I'll show her," Donovan volunteered.

His mother gave him a knowing smile but nodded acceptance anyway. Grabbing a load of peeled potatoes, Donovan carried them over to Carter.

"If you think that you can use this as a ploy to wrap your arms around me to show me how cutting is done, I will stab you," she said.

Donovan grinned and slipped a knife from the holder. "That only works with sports. Here this is how you hold the knife."