Invisible

Takes place before Carter was ever in Donovan's life. Have fun, I know I did!

***********************************

The house was silent, but Donovan knew it wouldn't be that way for long. Glancing at the door, he hurriedly changed into a pair of running shorts and laced up his shoes. Straining to hear the entrance of his brothers, he went to the window and pushed it open. A dry, dusty wind whipped inside the room. Beyond the smell of dirt, the tang of the ocean could be detected.

Having grown up with this scent, Donovan didn't even notice it anymore. He climbed out and dropped to the ground, a cloud of dust puffing up underfoot. He eased the window shut and let out a breath. The day was settled into the warm glow of late afternoon, the sky hinting at a sunset to come and the sun backing off of its glare.

Feeling satisfied with his escape, Donovan rounded the house. He instantly jerked back, bumping into the corner.

Standing, waiting for him, were his three older brothers.

They were all copies of each other with individual markers that kept them apart. Brock leaned against the house, his arms crossed. He had their father's broad features. James had one elbow resting on Clint's shoulder. Though he was a few inches shorter than his quiet older brother, James' loud personality made up the difference.

"Where are you going?" James asked a laugh hidden in the dimple in his cheek.

Donovan shoved his hands into his pockets, hating that trying to lie to them was like trying to escape their mother's keen eyes.

"I was going to go for a run," he answered.

"Where to?" Brock asked.

"The beach."

All three brothers exchanged looks.

"Great, we'll go with you," James said.

Donovan fought down a scowl of annoyance, knowing it would betray him. Instead, he shrugged.

"Fine."

Removing their shirts and discarding them in Donovan and James' room, the four brothers took off. They crossed the front lawn and moved out onto the road that led through the Marine base. As they ran, the group all looked like echoes, though Donovan just two weeks past sixteen was still the smallest in size. They left the base and crossed the highway, taking it to towards the ocean.

The beach was narrow and occupied by very few people, the location too far for anyone to really bother with driving to. The group kept a tight two-man formation as they moved to the shoreline. Donovan made up one part of the pair at the front, Brock beside him. Despite himself, he was guiding the pack where he really didn't want to go but was pulled anyways.

As they were crossing the path of a lifeguard station, Donovan glanced over. He instantly regretted it and felt a sinking feeling in his gut. The girl sitting on the tall chair waved to him and called out.

"Hi, Donovan," she said.

She was in her late teens with brown hair speckled with blonde from the sun and deeply tan skin. Hating everything at that moment, he waved back.

"Hi, Ashley," he said.

She hopped down from her platform, obviously under the impression that they would have a conversation like they usually did. Donovan felt the familiar pang of attraction as she walked forward, the red lifeguard bathing suit doing everything to display her body to an advantage.

"Are these your brothers?" she asked, eying the group.

As if planned, the brothers fanned out, forming a crescent moon around the girl, Donovan ending up on the far edge. James leaned forward, his smile quick and flirtatious. At seventeen he had still yet to experience anything that was close to awkward. The world was his stage.