Close Encounters of the Carter and Mason Kind

So this is something kind of random. Instead of a one shot with a beginning, middle, and end I just wrote short interactions. Mostly cause I didn't have a brain to write more than that. They all take place while Mason and Carter are in high school. At the top of each section I'll let you know what grade they are in.

***********************************

(Sophomore Year)

Carter wanted to slam her locker door into the head of the guy standing behind it. She wanted to do it so much it was taking all her self-control not to act on the desire.

"The yacht didn't have a helipad," the guy complained to his friend. "So we had to buy a second yacht, but this one doesn't have the same type of pool as the last one. It's so annoying."

No, what was annoying was this guy's incessant whining about how rich his family was and still, he wasn't happy. Trying to block out the inane chatter, Carter snatched her notebook and flipped it open. As she checked the notes, someone stepped up beside her.

"Owens," the newcomer said.

Carter slowly lifted her head and sniffed the air before looking over at Mason.

"Oh Mason," she said. "I thought I smelled the stench of entitlement."

"No, what you're smelling is Hugo Boss's new cologne. What I'm smelling with you is cheap shampoo."

Carter slid her notebook back into her locker. "Oooh, and he goes for the being poor joke. However did you come up with that one, Mason?"

Mason rolled his eyes. "Look, I didn't come over here to talk."

"Okay then, bye Mason."

Before Carter could leave, Mason held up his arm, blocking her path.

"I'm here because I lost a bet," he said.

"And what you now have to give me a makeup over that will somehow suddenly convince people I'm not the same person they despise and make me Prom Queen?"

"Not a movie I'd thought you watch."

"I know how to read a movie synopsis Mason. I know, astounding. What will she do next? Take over the world maybe?"

"No, it's more I always imagine you sitting in your lair planning your enemies' demise."

"I don't have a lair. But that does remind me, you leave school exactly at 2:30 every day through the south exit, right?"

"Ha ha." Mason rumpled his blonde hair. "You made me lose my train of thought."

"Not really hard to derail your train, Mason. Not when your head is just full of steam."

"Steam engines haven't been used in trains for decades, at least keep your insults current, will you?"

"Noted."

Carter slammed her locker door closed and headed away. She only made it two steps before Mason popped up in front of her. She rolled her eyes.

"Mason, not good to see you again, it hasn't been long enough."

"Owens, never a pleasure to see you. But I came over for a reason."

"Right your Prom Queen bet. Can't make it happen."

"Will you shut up, I need to say this."

"Oh, this is going to be good."

Growling in frustration, Mason spun Carter around by her shoulders so she could see a circle of guys further down the hallway.