Taking A Chance

Quite simply the most boring chapter I have ever written. Okay, in recent time it's the most boring chapter. So I'm sorry for this.

My excuse is I wrote it after five days of being sick and only had half a brain.

So like it, don't like it. Read it, don't read it. I really don't care.

******

Also, heads up if you want a reply from me then make sure to do an inline comment when you see these emojis in the author's note! 💬🗯💭

***********************************

The elevator doors opened but Carter didn't step out. Instead, she stood frozen with indecision. When the doors started closing again, she stuck out her hand and halted them. Shaking her head at herself, she walked out. The hallway seemed to stretch on, growing as she stared at it. She balled her hands and strode forward, stopping at a door.

For a long moment, she simply stared at the gold number hanging on it. Her thoughts were a current of annoyance and concern, the annoyance heavily berating the concern. But still, she didn't leave. Letting out a breath, she knocked. She inwardly cursed herself for even being there.

When no movement came from the other side, she spun on her heel ready to walk away, but the tug of concern stopped her. Grounding her teeth, she knocked once more. A single second ticked off in her head and she decided she had waited long enough.

But as she went to leave, she heard the faint shuffle of footsteps. She faced the door, already forming excuses and blasé comments about her presence there.

When Donovan opened the door, there were three things Carter instantly took in.

The first was the fact that he was shirtless. This was the first time she had ever seen him in such a state and she hated how the sight of his muscular torso affected her thoughts.

The second was the fact that he seemed to be sweating. Which this set her mind in a riot of directions.

The third was the fact that he looked awful. His eyes were red as well as the tip of his nose and his hair was an utter mess.

"Carter," Donovan said, her name coming out in a sharp rasp.

She blinked, taking everything in.

"I hadn't heard from you in a few days, I wanted to check-in."

Donovan opened his mouth to respond but snapped it shut. He staggered away from the door and to the bathroom. A second later, Carter heard him throwing up.

Unsure if he would even wanted her there but unable to leave, she followed him. He was seated on the floor, his head resting on his arm that sat on the rim of the toilet. He breathed heavily, his eyes closed.

Carter grabbed a hand towel from a rack, soaked it in water, rung it out, and crouched beside him. Closer, she could see how his skin was pale.

"Here," she said.

He pried his eyes open and accepted the towel, wiping his mouth.

"Can you stand up?" she asked.

"In...a...minute..."

The words seemed to take everything from him.

"Okay."

They sat there in silence for a long while until Donovan raised his head and looked at her. It was as if he were registering that she was there for the first time.

"Hey," she said, hurting at the worn-out look on his face. "Let me help you stand up."

She wrapped his arm around her neck and slid her hand around his waist. His skin was hot and clammy. They rose, Donovan leaning on her. They made a slow progression back to Donovan's room.