Growing Up

Something I've seen for awhile and finally got around to writing it. Again it was one of those moments I was interested in seeing how Carter and Donovan acted as parents.

Enjoy! 😊

***********************************

The apartment was quiet. It was a quiet that said Kennedy's parents weren't home but right then that wasn't an issue that bothered her. She glanced at the boy next to her. He looked back, the edge of his mouth curling into a half-smile that said they were sharing a secret. When he shifted closer on the couch, his leg pressed against hers. Heat rushed through Kennedy, but she managed to keep her cool, aloof expression.

"Can you help me with this next problem?" Connor asked.

"Of course."

Kennedy leaned over, pointing to the problem and breaking down the logic behind it. As she twisted her head to make sure he understood, she found that their faces were closer than expected. For a breath, they hovered there, savoring the anticipation. Inside her chest, Kennedy felt her heart beating erratically.

Then Connor kissed her.

There was no wavering in the kiss, he knew exactly what he was doing and what he wanted. Kennedy was startled by the certainty of it but found all her thoughts flying out of her head. The textbook clattered to the floor as Connor twisted, his hands reaching for her. Blood thundered in Kennedy's ears differently than on the training course.

As Connor pulled her towards him, she buried her hands in his hair. His hands moved around her waist slipping under the edge of her shirt. Every sensation was electrifying Kennedy, wiping out the world around them. All she knew right then was Connor.

It was for this reason that she didn't hear the door open.

Didn't register the two figures that walked in.

What she did hear was the door slamming closed.

She broke away from Connor with a start, heart pounding. When she looked across the way, her heartbeat was kicked up a notch. Her parents were staring at the tangled pair on the couch.

Where her mother was calm, almost to the point of indifference, her father was vibrating with anger. Kennedy put some distance between her and Connor. Beside her, Connor was surprised, but not regretful. An emotion that was soon to be all he felt.

Donovan crossed the living room in measured steps and yanked Connor off the couch. The boy yelped as Donovan gripped the back of his neck. As her father whispered something in the boy's ear, Kennedy watched as Connor's legs buckled. If it weren't for Donovan's hold, he would have collapsed. Finished, Donovan shoved Connor away. He stumbled, righted himself and bolted for the door, escaping.

Kennedy sank deeper into the cushions wishing she could do the same at the look in her father's eyes. Before Donovan could say anything, Carter stepped over to him. She carelessly ran a hand through his hair.

"Why don't you go punch something?" she said. "Preferably not the wall, we just had it painted." 

Even though Donovan left, Kennedy still felt like she could feel his anger. When she looked up at her mother, she was met with a controlled expression. It was worse than her father's anger. She wished her mother was furious, it would be easier to react to.

Carter sat down on the couch and kicked off her shoes and crossed her legs like this was an average day. Kennedy bit her lip, waiting for the rebuke, the disappointment. Instead, Carter leaned her elbow on the back of the couch and rested her head in her hand.