Everything Changes

Cause I felt like it and it's not very long but as always I hope the enjoyment makes up for that fact!

***********************************

Carter sat on the edge of her bed, one leg tucked beneath her. Outside the late afternoon sun was bathing the world in a warm golden glow. Spring buds bloomed on trees and tossed their sweet scent into the air, to be swept up and carried off by the breeze. From her open window, Carter caught the flower fragrance.

Laying before her was a maroon dress that was cut to be flattering as well as flirty. Thoughts turning in slow circles, she played with the silky material. From beyond the door, she heard the even movements of her father. But there something to the usual rhythm of his footsteps that was different. It was as if they had become even lighter than before. A knock echoed on her door.

"Carter?" he asked.

She murmured 'enter'. Somehow her father heard the response and opened the door. Leaning on the doorframe, he studied her. He was dressed in a dark suit, but one that was distinctively different from his Secret Service attire.

"Sarge?" he asked, his voice tinged with concern.

Unable to meet his gaze, she stared down at the dark fabric, rubbing it between her fingers.

"Everything is going to change," she said.

Her father walked over and sat on the bed, facing her.

"You understand that bringing Maggie into the family will change nothing about how I feel about you, right?"

Carter nodded but still didn't look up.

"Sarge," Steve said. "You're not losing me, we're gaining her."

Finally, Carter raised her head. "It's just been only us for so long."

Her father crossed his arms. "True, but if you look back, we've had Maggie for almost just as long." He smiled with a memory. "Who made sure that both of us were eating after your mother left? Guess who was the one that reminded me that you did need new clothes? Who do you think was the one who bought you pads when I wasn't man enough to do it myself?" Carter felt the beginnings of a smile appearing. "Who has been with us for so many years, making sure we didn't fall apart? Who do you think has wanted to step into the role of your mother since she saw you lose one?"

"She's always been part of this family, hasn't she?" Carter said.

Steve smiled, the look so full of affection and happiness Carter felt it wrapping her up in it.

"She has and now we get to make it permanent."

"I guess it's about time then."

Steve laughed and Carter grinned, knowing that if Maggie had this effect on her father then everything would be fine. Rising, her father leaned over and kissed the top of her head.

"Hurry and get dressed, we don't want to be late."

Carter slid off her bed. "I must like her cause I'm wearing a dress for her."

At the door, her father looked back, a teasing gleam in his blue eyes.

"Is it for her? Or is it that Marine you are determined to keep dating?"

Carter's embarrassed scowl was all the confession she was going to give. It was all Steve needed.

"That's what I thought," he said, closing the door.

Shaking her head as she tried to hide her smile, she turned back to the dress. She changed and took a moment before the mirror to criticize the length, tightness and overall appearance. When convinced she was mad for agreeing to the dress, she put on her shoes and headed out. Her father looked up from his phone when she entered the living room and beamed.