Unpacking

Nothing happens in this chapter and it's so disgustingly cute you might die from the overload. So, you know, read at your own risk. Maybe don't read it at all. The choice it up to you.

***********************************

"Carter."

"No," Carter mumbled. 

She lived in a bubble of blissful sleep and she was not going to break it for anyone. Not even her husband. No matter how cute he was or how much she loved him. Somethings could not be sacrificed.

"Carter, it's nine o'clock," Donovan said.

This time his voice was combined with gentle caresses to her cheek. If he thought that would work, he was sorely mistaken. It only managed to lull Carter into a more pleasantly sleepy state.

"Your father warned me about this," he said.

Carter smiled and snuggled closer to Donovan, hoping to silently persuade him to give up the cause and go back to sleep. It seemed to work as Donovan wrapped her in his arms and kissed her cheek.

"We have a lot of unpacking to do today," he said in her ear.

She hummed, barely registering his words.

"You wanted to go for a run. If you want to, we have to go now."

Carter vaguely remembered that and thought it was a very idiotic thing to have said she wanted to do. Sleep, that's what she wanted.

But it seemed Donovan wasn't going to give her any choice. He climbed out of bed with her in his arms. Little did he realize, Carter loved his arms and found them quite comfortable. She could sleep like this.

"Carter," Donovan said, jostling her.

She grinned, her eyes closed, and curled deeper into his hold.

"Wow, your father wasn't joking. I really don't feel like dropping you on the floor to wake you up."

"Then drop me on the bed and let me go back to sleep."

"Nope, we have too much of the day ahead of us."

Donovan let go of her and Carter gasped before he caught her again. But it was enough, the moment of shock jolted her awake. She stared up at his wide grin.

"Morning, beautiful."

She laughed and kissed him. "Hey, handsome. Care for a run?"

"You know, that's a great idea."

Donovan set her down and they both went wading through the boxes of their clothes in search of workout attire. Once dressed and fueled with a power shake, they headed out.

Outside the day was trapped in winter as every breath crystallized in the air. Still, Carter and Donovan took off down the street. They found their rhythm and fell in sync, matching each other stride for stride.

Without comment, they wound their way to the Mall. The one place they'd had in common on their running routines when they were younger and hadn't realized it.

Everything beyond the walkways was covered in a foot of snow. As they reached the steps to the Lincoln memorial they sprinted up them and then slowed their pace on their way down.

Carter stared at the startling blue sky and the gleaming landscape of white around her. The serenity of the place was shattered when she felt something smack into the back of her head. She turned around just in time to catch a snowball to the face. She stood gaping at Donovan as he aimed at her again.

This time, she managed to dodge the attack. Racing away from him, she scooped up a hand full of snow and smashed it into a ball. She spun, aimed, and threw. It nailed Donovan in the shoulder as another one of his hit her in the side. Carter laughed as she hide behind a tree and armed herself with more snowballs.