The Dilemma

Just a little something! Enjoy!

***********************************

"Excellent works, Agent Owens," Director Townsend said. "If this operation goes well it could be the time we are able to bring down the Cutlass cartel for good." Townsend leaned forward on his desk, his brow inching together. "I want this operation to be clean, everything by the book. It might mean it takes longer but we need to nail this cartel. Understand?"

Carter nodded, lengthening the timeline in her mind to over five months.

"Of course, sir," she said.

"Good, I'll have you debrief the rest of the team tomorrow."

Townsend stood and Carter mimicked the action. "Good work, Owens."

"Thank you, sir."

Carter left the office, despite the hope she felt over what could be the biggest takedown in her career, there was a nagging sensation that she couldn't shake. As she walked down the hall to the elevators most of the offices around her were dark, some still held agents on the edge of a discovery and ignoring the clock to find it.

Through leaving and making her way home, Carter planned out the next steps of the operation, the agents she would request along with the other ones that had already been working alongside her.

When the elevator dinged and the doors opened onto her floor, she felt prepared for the next day and the five intense months that lay ahead. But as she walked to her apartment, something brought her up short and the confidence she felt wavered.

It was the sound of a bright laugh followed by a deep throaty chuckle. A smile was already playing on her lips as she opened the door.

Inside the apartment, Carter found Donovan still in his sweatpants laying on his back on the floor, Kennedy in his arms.

As he lifted his daughter up, her soft, black hair fluttered and another laugh was stolen from her. Toys were strewn across the floor and a pile of dishes were staked in the sink, but Carter could see nothing but Donovan and her daughter.

Quietly laying down her bag and shrugging off her jacket, she crossed over to them and settled down beside Donovan. He smiled at her presence, his eyes still on Kennedy. When their daughter's blue eyes found Carter's, a gleeful smile cut into her baby cheeks.

Instantly, she squirmed in Donovan's hold, reaching for her mother. Carter reached out and took her daughter, laying her on her stomach. Kennedy stretched out on a pudgy arm and played with Carter's mouth. Carter made a soft grrr noise and pretended to eat the tiny fingers. Kennedy shrieked with laughter.

"How was your day off?" Carter asked, still focused on Kennedy.

Donovan brushed a hand over Kennedy's head, ruffling her wispy hair.

"It was good, as you can see neither of us got out of our pajamas. We stayed in bed until she decided food was more important than me and we got up. She had a long nap and so did I. We played hostage take over and she handled the situation like a pro. She later used attack techniques to fling her peas at me. It was very effective." Carter laughed and Kennedy smiled as if knowing her bad behavior was being talked about. "She'll make a great agent one day."

"She will. It sounds like it was a good day then?" Carter smiled but there was a hint of sadness to it.

Donovan propped himself up on his elbow, staring down at Carter, a worried line forming between his eyebrows.

"What is it?"

Before she could voice all that was rattling around her mind, a knock came. Donovan gave Carter a look that said he still wanted to know and got up to answer. Link stood on the other side holding a black haired boy that had hazel eyes and his fingers stuck in his mouth. He was the spitting image of his father.