Valentine's Day

Cause someone asked for it and your wish is my...okay it's sometimes my commend, other times I just ignore it and write what I want to. 😁

***********************************

Donovan rolled over in bed, stretching out his arm, searching for Carter, wanting to curl her close to him, but all he found was emptiness. Frowning, he blinked himself away and stared at the rumpled blankets that said she had been there. Propping himself on one elbow, he peered around the room.

"Carter?" he said, his voice rough with sleep.

There was no answer. When he looked back at her side of the bed, he spotted a folded note sitting on her pillow. Picking it up, he lay back down. On the inside was a single message: Come find me. Donovan stared at the cryptic note, still half asleep. He twisted to his nightstand planning to call her when he found another note waiting there.

No, I won't answer my phone. Use that brain of yours and come find me.

Smiling now at how well she knew him, Donovan threw back his blankets and climbed out of bed. He walked into their closet and noticed that her running shoes were missing: his first clue. Quickly, he changed into his own running gear and left their room. In the kitchen, on the counter was a glass filled with a power drink, next to it was another note. Drink up, you'll need it. Thoroughly bemused at what was going on, he downed the drink.

Outside, despite the calendar still proclaiming the season to be Winter, it felt warm with the sun offering what heat it could and the day free of any wind or breeze. Still early, the streets were bare for the most part, and what people Donovan did cross paths with were locked in their own world's that they paid no mind to him.

Donovan took to the normal route Carter and him always run, searching for signs of her everywhere. He didn't spot any until he reached the Lincoln memorial. Taped to a pillar was a folded card. Removing it, Donovan glanced around, knowing this note wouldn't have lasted long, one of the service people throwing it away before too long. But Carter wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Donovan, I never would have admitted this, even to myself but the first time I ran into you and James at this place I checked you out. Honestly, how could I not? You were in a t-shirt and I got to fully appreciate your arms for the first time. I'll tell you, I was impressed. But again, I never would have even admitted this to myself, but I felt you should know. All those hours of lifting weights were worth it.

Next: where did you and James go to breakfast?

Donovan read the note twice. "I knew it," he whispered to himself.

Tucking the note away, he raced down the steps, taking off for the cafe that James and he had gone to. It was one that since then Carter and he had often visited. As he ran he felt a sense of eagerness growing inside him, Carter's words playing over in his head. The further he got away from the Mall, the busier the sidewalks became, the day finally nudging others into action.

When Donovan pulled open the cafe doors, a burst of warmth and the bitter scent of coffee cascaded over him. The place hummed with conversations as friends met up over breakfast, needing the companionship as much as the caffeine to rouse them from their sleepy states. As Donovan approached the register, the barista smiled at him, but then cocked her head.

"Donovan?" she asked.

"Yeah..." The barista handed him a note. "How did she describe me?"

This made the girl blush. "Umm...extremely good looking in workout clothes that made you want to take up running." The girl swallowed, looking like she wanted to melt from humiliation.