Meeting Once Again

You have to read the Stepping Out chapter first before you read this or else this won't make sense. The one shot is towards the beginning of the book.

Also you asked for this, you're welcome.

***********************************

Donovan heard Carter's footsteps behind him as he finished buttoning the last button on his shirt.

"Donovan, I need you to tell me I look beautiful," Carter said.

Already smiling, Donovan turned around and froze. In a deep purple, high-collared gown that complimented her warm skin tone, Carter didn't look beautiful, she looked stunning. For a second, he didn't have words, but then cleared his throat.

"You look beautiful," he said.

Carter threw her hands up in frustration. "Nope, that didn't help. I'm not going tonight."

Spinning on her heel - which made the loose skirt of the dress swirl - Carter stormed back into the bathroom. For a fraction of a second, Donovan contemplated the strangeness of his wife. But seeing how leaving her on her own wouldn't help anything, he followed, tucking his shirt into his black slacks as he went.

In the bathroom, Carter stood glaring at her reflection, hands on hips. She looked like a woman ready to punch the glass. To save her fist, and their mirror, Donovan wrapped his arms around her. Carter didn't relax into his hold as she normally would, conveying the depth of her dislike for the evening's event.

"Would it help if I told you, you don't just look beautiful, but stunning?" he asked.

Carter squirmed out of his hold.

"Not at all. I hate politicians. And I hate that we have to go tonight."

Sliding his hands into his pockets, Donovan leaned against the sink, watching Carter pace like a lioness trapped.

"I would tell you we didn't have to go but since it's our job, there's no way out of it. It's only tonight."

"Yes, one night too long."

"You don't have to interact with politicians. This is our first solo mission as partners for the FBI, our only job is to observe. Another layer of security that no one will notice. That's all."

Carter stormed back and forth, scowling at invisible guests.

"They get on my nerves. It's always smile in your face and knife you in the back." She pointed to Donovan like she was driving home a point she'd made countless times. "This is why I don't vote. I don't even want to associate myself with them."

"There are good politicians."

"That's an oxymoron."

Carter stopped pacing and buried her face in her hands. Seeing an opening, Donovan crossed to her and rested his hands on her arms.

"I could find someone else to be my partner on this if it really bothers you that much," he said.

"No," Carter said. "Because then it would mean I put on a dress for no reason at all."

Fighting back a laugh, Donovan kissed Carter's head.

"Okay, well the car will be here in fifteen."

Carter raised her head. "Why do we have to be chauffeured there?"

"Because we need to appear like all the other wealthy guests arriving so we don't stand out."

With a groan of annoyance, Carter sat down before her mirror to fix her hair.

"If I choke on all the self-importance in that room, don't try to bring me back, just leave me to die."