Chapter Fifty Eight

Start from the beginning

It began to get really hot when my phone made a sound. It seemed to snap us out of our trance. We both paused. With a sigh, I pushed him off me and padded over towards it. I saw Luke from the corner of my eye make a beeline to the fridge. Typical.

I looked down at the phone and furrowed my eyebrows together. For some reason I felt my stomach do a little dip and my heart beat become faster. I licked my lips, shaking my head in absolute horror. This couldn't be happening.

Jason and Emma... The 'Golden Couple' of the year... possibly breaking up?

But what is even worse... Emma is staying at Britney's?

God, what has the world come to?

* * *

Jason Mayor

He stood there, his palms cupping her face. He leaned in, so that their lips were mere inches apart. They were about to touch... I threw my leg out, kicking the table in front of me as hard as I could. I strangled scream tore from my throat as I turned, slamming my fist down onto it. The desk shook with the contact.

I sank down on my bed, my hands having fistfuls of my hair. I shook my head. I was ashamed to have tears welling up in my eyes.

She almost kissed him.

Again.

I was ready to go in for the kill. I loved her; that much was obvious. But she obviously felt something towards him. I'm not sure if it's emotions, feelings or just plain lust, (which made me utterly sick in the stomach), but whatever it is, it's there.

Until she sorted out whatever was going on, I wasn't going to be dragged around by her. I'd rather her sort out her emotions and whatever. Even if it meant her choosing Chase over me. It made me want to vomit, just thinking those words, but it was true.

I'd prefer her happiness, over mine.

My phone began vibrating beside me. I turned my head, just staring at it. I was relieved when it wasn't her name on the screen. With numb fingers, I reached out and clutched the phone in my clammy hand.

"What?" I croaked out, using my thumb and pointer finger to pinch the bridge of my nose. I didn't want to speak to anyone today. I wanted to just wallow in my own self-pity and anger. Just have some alone time to feel sorry for myself for the crap I've gotten myself into.

"Hey man," Alex said cheerfully. "We're all doing some practice laps down at the pool for the comp tomorrow. Are you almost here?"

I sighed heavily, shaking my head.

The River Comp.

I completely forgot about it. With my head all messed up right now, who knows how good I'd be. But... since swimming was my escape from everything it might be good. I contemplated in my head, unsure of what to do.

"You there, Jase?" Alex asked.

"Oh-er yeah. I'm heading there now." I managed to force out.

"Sweet as. See you soon."

The line went dead. I slowly removed the phone from my ear. I may as well go. I couldn't let the team down, no matter what was going on. I slowly stood and made my way to my drawers, to fetch my shorts. I yanked them on and grabbed my keys. I trudged down the stairs and called out to mum, telling her where I was going. I stomped out to the car, slid in and began my way towards the pool. I pulled in and just sat there for a moment. This was the spot, the exact one, where Emma and I... almost christened the car park.

I shook my head. God... even half a day without her and she was driving me insane. This couldn't be healthy. I shouldn't be feeling stuff like this. I pulled the key out and chucked it in my bag. I slowly made my way to the pool. The coach was there, shaking her head disapprovingly.