chapter twenty seven: friends not lovers

NOT PROOFREAD (may be some mistakes-mainly capital letters)

gray P.o.v

my eyes fell and landed onto the ripples of the blue water. I couldn't help but feel scared. scared of what Juvia thought of me; scared if she still felt the same way. 

"W...what do you mean?" Juvia muttered. My eyes flickered and I managed to catch a glance of a sparkle in Juvia's eyes. "I've always loved you." I felt my heart skip a beat: was I hearing things?

"Ever since I first laid eyes on you, you'd always be the one I wanted to be with," she continued. She turned away, clutching her hands tight in a fist. "But at the end... I started to lose hope."

my hands clasped around her cold fingers. 

"Juvia I'm sorry," I spluttered. "For being such a coward and -

"Gray I-"

But before I could let her finish speaking, I pushed my cold lips against hers. A warm sensation tingled my insides and I felt my heart melting as if being engulfed by a seething fire. my fingers interlocked with hers and at that time, at that moment, I wanted it to last forever. Something small and shiny slipped out of Juvia's palm. I felt Juvia slowly push away from me and I reached out to what looked like a piece of a stone. 

"The dragon crystal!" she gasped suddenly in fear. "I have to get it back to Lucy..." She turned away to run off but slipped on the water on the slippery floor. My hands darted out, clasping her wrist against my hand, her body tilting into the water, only the edges of her toes dipping into the water. Juvia pulled back. 

"There's not time to explain-

"I don't need to know right now... but I know that it's important..." I said. "Juvia, I want to tell you that I-

warm fingers closed my lips. Juvia smirked and I smiled back.

Levy P.o.v

Where on earth would you find a dragon crystal? Amongst books? Surely not! I picked up a book and searched through its pages before throwing it into the huge pile behind me. There bound to be a dragon crystal somewhere. I held up the white stone in between my fingertips; it shone brightly. It has to be close. 

"Book worm," a voiced grumbled behind me. I spun round to see Gajeel looking down at me as he patted my head softly. "What are you doing? Making a house?"

I frowned. "No I'm actually..." I hesitated. Could I trust Gajeel? I would trust him with my heart... even if he threw it away? Warm hands placed on my head. 

"You know you can trust me, right?"

my heart skipped a beat. I nodded. "you see, this all started when Lucy and I found a secret room in the library..." I scanned a row of books and glanced around nervously before pulling out a big dusty book from it shelves. A small opening  became apparent. Gajeel's eyes widened. 

"what is this?" he breathed as we walked inside, he traced the walls with the edge of his fingertips. "...a hide out?"

I sighed. "It's hard to explain but... Lucy's father created this, when he was a student at fairytail academy."

"You see, something terrible happened many years ago, a war between dragons and mages when they existed. They began to die out slowly and at the end, there was little magic left. When Lucy was born, magic was already extinct, his father had to hide the fact that magic had existed and adapt her into the new human world as we are in now." I explained. Gajeel nodded slowly, trying to understand. "Lucy's father and mother used their strength to hide away the final traces of magic... but Lucy's mother was already weak and died tragically. The dragon crystal. It was created to store the magic left in this world, Lucy's father hid it in Fairytail Academy... but it cracked and broke into 4 pieces which scattered across the school."

"That explains why everyone started to get magic... right?" Gajeel asked. I nodded. "Magic became activated bound a boundary was set to not escape this school and only the students have been affected... but there's something special about this school... something magical."

Gajeel didn't say anything for a long time, until we reached the end of the cave. "So your bringing it back together to bring Lucy's mother back to life?"

"Yes and... the jewel is a powerful source, if in the wrong hands..." Gajeel nodded and stopped in front of me. 

"I'll help," he concluded. "I'll help find the jewel." and at that moment, a piece of rock fell from the walls of the cave. I crouched down and reached for it, my eyes widened.

"This is it!" I breathed, holding up a piece of crystal. "The missing piece!"

Ultear P.O.V

I watched as they both left the cave and Levy placed the thick book back onto the shelf. The secret room closed again and once again looked like a normal library. I waited for a few moments as they left the library, before reaching into my pockets and pulling out my phone.

"Yes?"

"Lisanna, I think you should come down to the library asap!" I breathed into the mic. "There's something you need to see."