Chapter fifteen: The outbreak!... a secret room?

Lucy P.O.V

"What's new?" Natsu asked as he devoured a burger in the cafeteria. I sat next to him with my lunch tray, opposite Erza and Gray. "Did I miss anything while I was away?" 

There was a giggle from Levy as she sat on the table next to me, Juvia behind her. "Something!" Levy giggled.  Then she nudged Juvia. Juvia blushed in embarrassment. 

I looked at Gray. But he wasn't paying attention. I was about to speak when Meredy marched up to our table, slamming her tray down. 

"Hey guys, is it alright if I sit here?" Meredy asked anxiously. She was shaking and her eyes were widened. 

"We don't need company!" Natsu muttered, but I nudged him in annoyance. Then I smiled at Meredy. 

"Of course," I said cheerfully.

Meredy smiled gratefully and sat next to Gray, who wasn't interested in the slightest in what was going on. I asked Meredy about her whereabout and what was going on in school as she always knew the latest news. But Meredy looked horrified when I asked her about the latest. 

"Meredy... is there something wrong?" Levy asked, lowering her fork. 

Her mouth opened and closed like a goldfish until she squeaked and ate her chips rapidly. I glanced at Levy who looked genuinely concerned. Natsu raised an eyebrow and Erza and Juvia exchanged glances. Gray still wasn't paying attention. 

Suddenly, Gajeel approached our table. He was about to say something when a couple of guys nudged him, and he reluctantly sat on a different table.

"There's something weird going on," levy muttered. "Why won't Gajeel sit with us?"

I looked at Meredy for answers but she was still consuming her chips. She had nervous glances at all the other tables like she everyone was watching her. 

"Meredy, is there something your not telling us?" I asked slowly. 

Meredy slowly looked up and lowered her fork. Then she inhaled and exhaled deeply. 

"They were terrible times Lucy," Meredy finally said. 

I looked at Levy but she shrugged her shoulders. "What do you mean Meredy?" 

"Weird things have been going on, Lucy," Meredy continued. "Its all going haywire."

I didn't understand what she was talking about but I realised that Levy was in deep thought. 

"Everybody seems to be developing some sort of supernatural abilities," Meredy explained. "Nobody knows how it began or why its happening now. Everybody is freaking out"

"What's this got to do with Gajeel?" Erza asked. "Why isn't he speaking to us?"

Meredy hesitated. "The popularities rule the school now, Our school, They're rules. And nobody likes it. But what choice do we have, it's like we've been manipulated to hate each other." Meredy said. "its the magic, it defines us."

"Why?" I questioned.

"Maybe its like guilds?" Levy suggested.

We all looked at Levy in confusion. 

"Guilds? Like I mean groups of people joining together to become stronger as one." Levy said. "Probably that's why."

"But why has magic suddenly broken out?" Erza asked. 

Levy nodded. "There's only one person we can go to for answers."

Natsu P.O.V

I clenched my fists.