Chapter 2

I couldn't sleep. The memory of my arrival to this world, and my sudden abilities, kept me tossing and turning until I could take it no longer and left my room to wander the empty castle halls, dark with only the silvery light from the second moon through the windows to illuminate my path.

It all happened so fast, I was home and in an instant, I was here. I had taken the thought of this being a dream away, a very weird but warm dream, as if the universe had listened to my prayers. Be in a world where I would be truly happy, where something happens every day, where I wouldn't get tired of making friends, and for once, not being alone or feeling empty.

Unthinkingly, my feet carried me to Glimmer's bedroom door. I hesitated, not wanting to disturb my new friend, but I needed to be with someone, even just for a night, to reassure myself that this isn't a dream, that I'm not home. Slowly, I pushed the door open a crack and leaned in. "(Y/N)?" Glimmer wasn't in her bed high above, instead lying on the window seat, tucked in with a blanket. On the floor by her feet, Bow was asleep sitting up, clearly having tried to stay awake and failed, his mouth hung open as his head fell back against the cushions, letting out the occasional snort of a snore.

"Glimmer, I didn't mean-- I'm sorry--" I stuttered, but sighed in the end. "I can't sleep..." My voice was low so as not to disturb Bow. "Do you want to come in?" I blinked, taken aback by the unusual request. I silently entered and shut the door behind me.

Glimmer carefully sat up to make room for me, wincing when Bow groaned at the slight movement. Once he settled again she let out a relieved sigh. "He wanted to stay up in case you come... But he fell asleep." Glimmer looked at him sadly. "He needs the sleep." I understood the unspoken words behind the simple statement, they had been fighting to keep me safe when I was the one that saved them. I've been so consumed with fear that I didn't want to get out of my room, sparing them from seeing my face, but I'm immensely grateful for what they did.

Fondness mingled with sadness in my chest, and I crossed my arms. "Thanks... For letting me stay here." I said, flashing her a small smile, receiving one back from the princess. "It's been a rough day, hasn't it? How do you feel?" I opened my mouth to respond, but whatever I was about to say was broken by a small cry escaping my lips. Glimmer caught me, pulling me against her chest and rubbing small circles on my back while I caught my breath. "Glimmer...?" I whispered, her voice hitching and wavering. "Can I stay?" The princess hugged me tighter, cheek pressed against the top of my head. "Of course you can, you are our friend." She promised.

I sniffled and wrapped my arms around her too, snuggling in closer. The two of us were quiet for some time, the only sounds breaking the silence our and Bows breathing and the rustle of the leaves from the Whispering Woods outside the window.

The sobs still came, and when I was roused by a particularly nasty one, Glimmer would ask me about my world softly, with repeating assurances. We stayed that way until morning, watching the moonrise turn the sky a pink not dissimilar to Glimmer's hair as I rested against her, with peaceful conversations and, at least for that moment, whole.

// Timeskip //

"(Y/N), did you do this?" Bow asked behind me. Angella had called me to start training my magic, she said I had to concentrate and think about good things, but the only thing I did after that was destruction, everything was destroyed around me and Angella was sighing. My magic was beautiful, black with many shifting colors, but it was too powerful, even for one of my age, or that's what the soldiers of Bright Moon said. "Y-Yeah, I just can't bring myself to control them."

"Don't worry, just kept practicing and you'll be mastering them in no time!" He responded with a smile. Nice as hell. Nobody ever trusted me to do things on my own. I felt happy. "If your magic only manifested in a few hours then it will mean a lot more training than you think. There is a possibility that her magic might be stronger than mine."