Chapter 22

Sliding his arms around her he whispered in her ear, "Hey Momma", making her nearly jump out of her skin. Turning quickly she found her son grinning at her with his love standing behind him.

"Adam! You scared me half to death" she exclaimed throwing her arms around his waist.

"Surprise" Tim laughed as the two embraced.

"You get over her too" Maggie demanded with a bit of laughter of her own. "Why didn't you boys tell me you were coming" she asked hugging Tim tightly.

"And miss this reaction, no way" Chance replied as Meeshka came running up from the back lot.

"There's my girl! Come here" Chance called as she barked in excitement.

Jumping up and knocking him to the ground, Meeshka stood on his chest licking his face feverishly as he tried wrestling her off him. Finally getting to where he could at least sit up next to her, he hugged her tightly and told her how much he'd missed her. With her own sounds she seem to say the same thing ending it with one big sloppy kiss to the lips.

"Come inside, have you guys eaten, I'll make some lunch" Maggie told them as she bent to pick up the laundry basket. Tim quickly grabbed the basket, "I've got this Miss Maggie".

"Son, when are you going to call me Mom" she asked catching both him and Chance off guard.

"I...well...um" he stumbled at her question. Chance smiled at Tim's response "I guess it's time" he thought to himself.

As soon as they entered the backdoor Maggie suggested contacting everyone to let them know they were home and to get together that evening. Determined not to give away the fact they had already been home for a few days, Chance agreed by excusing himself to grab his phone he'd left in the car stating he would call Jake while she called Marcus and Heather at work. Once everyone was notified, they agreed to meet at 5 pm.

"Hey, can we talk for a second" Chance asked as he took Tim aside.

"What's up, you ok" he asked taking a sip of his sweet tea.

"Yea, um I just want to know how you feel about telling everyone tonite that, well, that we're together..you know as a couple" Chance asked him nervously.

"Well, after your mom's comment this afternoon I'd say she already knows" he replied.

"Yea, that was a surprise" agreed Chance, "I'm not sure about the others or how they will react. I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable though".

"No, we agreed last night to be open and honest with the guys, we need to be the same with our families. Besides your mom and Heather thought we were a couple long before this" Tim stated.

"True....Ok, so we'll get them ligoured up and tell them before we leave" Chance grinned.

"Sounds like a plan" Tim chuckled.

Sitting around the fire pit after dinner making small talk Chance was trying to find the best time and way to finally let his family know about their relationship. He knew most had an inclination, but he was concerned how Calli would react, if she'd understand

"So, yeah guys there is something Tim and I would like to tell you" Chance stated, standing behind Tim's chair.

Pouring another glass of wine, Maggie sat back and smiled. She already knew what he was about to say, Tim's reaction earlier confirmed her suspicions since the first time he brought him home.

Heather kind of smirked thinking the same as her mother. Though they had teased him years ago about being a couple she really was happy her brother found someone, the right one.

"As you know my...um...lifestyle has been less than conventional " he began, while Tim sipped his tea watching the faces surrounding them.

"Meaning?" Heather asked coyly.

Giving her a sarcastic look, he continued "Y'all known that I've been involved in a relationship before where I nearly married someone I thought I was deeply in love with".

"And had it not been for someone meddling, you probably would have, which would have been a HUGE mistake" Heather stated finishing off another glass of wine.

"Yes, but also ... how do I put this" Chance hesitated.

"Anyone going to stop this poor guy before he has a stroke trying to tell us ? Chance, we know, we've known for a very long time. I'm good with it and think it's about damn time you told everyone" Jake expressed while the others smiled.

Chance gulped hard, yeah maybe they did know about him, but what about Tim. He'd been married, twice. Would they believe he felt the same, would they understand.

Tim stood and slid his arm around Chance waist.  Taking a deep breath he stated, "I love this man more than I ever thought I could ever love anyone. He's helped me find who I am, brought the real me to life, the one who was hidden away in fear since I was a teen. I hope y'all understand our relationship and support us just as much in the future as you have so far as brothers" he expressed.

Marcus looked around at everyone either smiling or wiping a tear. Extending his hand he stated, "Welcome to the family, Tim." Everyone stood, surrounding them in a group hug. Everyone but Calli who sat alone on the lounge chair lost in her thoughts.

"Calli...Calli.." her mother called.

"What" she asked, bewildered.

"There you go again, daydreaming.  Girl, you're gonna miss out on everything if you don't pay attention" Heather remarked.

Calli furrowed her brow at her mother before standing and running off towards the shore line.

"Young lady, where are you going" Heather yelled as she ran as fast as she could to the shoreline.

"What's gotten into her lately, she's been very moody " Maggie commented.

Chance and Tim both watched as she ran off. Tim thought perhaps she didn't understand what they had just told everyone, it surely wasn't easy for a child to understand two men as a couple. Chance knew it wasn't that, something else was upsetting her. He needed to find out. "Excuse me, I'll go talk to her" he advised as he began to walk away.

"I'll be lucky to make it through the teen years let alone the tween ones" Heather commented pouring another glass of wine.

Chance stopped and turned towards her, "Heather,  not everything is as it seems " he stated before jogging towards the shoreline.