Chapter 23

Huddled in a nearby sand dune, knees pulled to her chest, Calli stared out at the waves. Why, why did she have to know things, see things, especially the bad ones. It had been explained to her, she understood but it wasn't any easier.

Chance finally found her a distance away, shivering in the ocean breeze. Oblivious to his presence he quietly sat beside her "Calli" he whispered touching her arm lightly.

"Uncle Adam" she replied, not taking her eyes off the ocean waves.

Moving nearer he pulled her into his arms, "Tell me little one", his voice soft and caring.

"Why does it have to be so hard. I can't do anything, can't help, not this time" she told him as a single tear escaped her eye.

"You've seen something...something bad" he asked cautiously not wanting to upset her further.

"I couldn't help them, couldn't stop him. They were just kids" she solemnly stated.

"Calli..." he said holding her tighter, caressing her hair. He knew exactly how she felt. It was bad enough being an adult dealing with this so called gift, this curse. How could a child possibly handle this without messing her up for the rest of her life.

"Do you want to tell me more about it? Sometimes talking can help figure things out" he suggested as more tears trickled down her face.

"There was screaming, a loud bang,  blood, so much blood Uncle Adam" she told him, shaking her head, crying.

"Shhhh, baby" he whispered trying to comfort her.

"But I couldn't see their faces, they were blurry. I...I don't know if they were my friends or what" she continued to cry. "I tried to help, really I did but it was like I was paralyzed, I couldn't help...I just couldn't help".

"It's ok baby, it's ok" he said again trying to calm her.

"It's not ok, Uncle Adam. Five kids died and I did nothing to stop him, to help them" she retorted.

"Calli, listen to me. These visions,  feelings...for whatever reason ...are being revealed to guide us in our life's work, preparing us for what may come in the future. You may not have been able to stop someone or help the others in this vision but you're being prepared for when or if it happens again, so you not only sympathize but empathize with them. Am I making any sense, do you understand what I'm trying to say" he explained.

Taking a deep breath, wiping her eyes she looked up at her uncle, " I think so, but it's so hard feeling what they feel, the pain, the sadness, I hate it Uncle Adam"

"I know sweetie, I do too" he admitted.

"Why us, why do we have to go through this, why can't we just be normal like everyone else" she asked.

"For whatever reason we've been chosen to send a message" he told her.

"Well I wish someone would send me a message on how to deal with this stuff because this friggin sucks" she told him.

"You can always talk to me, anytime, anywhere. You know that" he said.

"I wish I could make Mom understand.  She thinks I'm being a spoiled, moody brat" Calli stated.

"Do you want to tell her? I'll help you if you want" he replied.

"She'd have me see a counselor or something Uncle Adam, she wouldn't understand. Besides, I'm not really supposed to share everything" she said leaning her head against his chest.

"I'm sorry you have to go through this at such a young age. I don't understand all of what I see or feel either. I do know that when I get overwhelmed by it all, I go to a place that brings me solice, comfort" he told her.

"That's why you come here, home to the shore," she replied.

"Yes, this place has brought me comfort for many years and always will. Do you have a special place that makes you happy" he asked still holding her against his chest.

"Yes..right here" she told him holding onto his hand.

Chance smiled "I'll always be here for you sweetie. Uncle Tim too"

"About that" she said looking at him.

A split second of dread rushed through his body, "ut oh, how do I explain us to her" he thought.

"I understand. It doesn't matter if you're male or female, what matters is that you're loved" she added.