Chapter 38

"I-I-"

Unable to decide, Inko looked into the eyes of the boy, now man, that she has been waiting for. She wanted to say yes, he gave everything up, risked it all, all for her.

But the Selkie...

She looked over to Attract who stood there sad, she didn't want to break their bond but also couldn't tear her Selkie from the sea. What should she do?

She pondered over her thoughts and made a decision.

"Hisashi...I would love to run away but..."

His shoulders drooped sadly as she started.

"As long as we stay near the water."

With that, Hisashi's face lit up and he went bright red with joy. He lifted Inko up into the sky and spun her round and around until the two were laughing non-stop.

They were ready. They had each other. They would run away that night.

That night under the light of the full moon, a thin figure crept out of the silent tribe and made its way along the shore. Inko's mother was on guard duty that night and she yawned as she waited for the end of her shift. She watched the figure glide across the shores and figured out it was Inko from the outline and movements. She's probably having another Selkie trait moment. Her daughter's been having quite a few lately. Maybe she should check on her daughter afterwards.

Hisashi stood at the edge of the their meeting spot as he waited impatiently for Inko. He started muttering to himself as he got paranoid over situations that would almost never occur.

He was about to go find Inko but she appeared in the moonlight before him, out of breath carrying a large packed bag. Her familiar behind her breathing quickly from using her powers to make the bag a bit lighter for her partner.

They held hands as they ran across the beach shore and the stars soon came out to greet them.

As happy as they were, they didn't know that another Selkie was using their power of Far Sight to watch as they reached the edge of her view. She alerted the tribe and soon an uproar arose.

How dare a Chimera tribe member take on of their own? He must've stolen her pelt and forced her to go. There's no way she would go willingly.

At dawn, the couple sat happily watching the sun rise and got up to start running again. They took each other's hands and were about to take off when a battle cry could be heard.

They turned to see all the Selkie warriors running full speed towards them and panic filled their stomachs. They needed to get away.

Now.

Before she left the Selkie tribe, Inko and Attract could feel their bond taking a hit since they were away from home. However, they loved each other so they didn't break their bond.

Now, Inko took a deep breath and looked towards Attract. She hopes that their soul bond was strong enough still. She wanted to save the love of her life. That's all she wanted. There was a risk but...she had to...even if it meant she might never merge again.

Attract responded to Inko's wish and sadly smiled, before turning into a pelt. Inko put on her pelt, and they became one.

(I drew Inko happy even through she's supposed to be in pain here, I just couldn't draw her in pain 😭)

She whispered an apology before ripping a sleeve off her pelt, her very being shook and she felt part of her soul being ripped. But it was for her love, she just had to.

Grabbing Hisashi's hand, she pulled him into the water and passed him the ripped sleeve. He covered his face with the pelt and he could breathe underwater.

Inko gave a powerful kick and the two sped off into the distance, shaking the tribe off their track temporarily.

They swam and swam all day until sunset where they stumbled into a decided village filled with the people abandoned from the world. They were kind and gave them shelter for the night but peace wasn't easy.

They were found a weak later and the little huts that they all stayed in were attacked.

Not wanting to cause trouble, the couple fled and ran into the forest away from the ocean. Selkies can't merge away from water.

They ran and ran for weeks on end, they were tired but together.

They had lost the tribe by now but they had to keep going. They had to keep moving. They had to.

One day, the two came across a large waterfall in the edge of an everglade in the mountain forest.

It was beautiful and they decided to take a break there. They scaled the waterfall and reached the top, only to find an injured wild familiar.

It was near death and blood seeped into the water. It's eyes were hazy and covered in a cloudy film. Large gashes covered it's body and it was missing a wing.

Inko hurriedly rummaged through her bag and pulled out her last supplies of herbal medicine. She skillfully patched up the familiar and let her decade of practice guide her fingers.

The familiar's tail twitched and life was slowly being restored. Wounds closed like magic and as the night fell, the familiar was fully healed.

It slept peacefully as Inko set up camp and Hisashi scouted out the area looking for edible berries and wild animals to hunt.

By the time the familiar awoke, the sun had risen again and there was a plate of wild berries before it.

The familiar ate them without much hesitation as it's stomach rumbled for food.

Wolfing down the nutritious meal, it eyes Inko as she crept forward with a glass of water. She got close enough for contact but made no effort to touch the familiar. It relaxed and picked up the water, drinking every drop.

The day slowly crept past and Hisashi still wasn't back from his hunt. Until,...

Hisashi, covered in injuries stumbled towards Inko and the familiar. He was yelling at her to run and before anything else could happen, a few Selkie tribe warriors burst to the scene.

Terror took over Inko and she picked up the familiar before running into the forest thicket.

She expected them to have caught her by now but when she looked around, she noticed that she was surrounded in a thin bubble.

The Selkie tribe couldn't break it yet everything else passed right through.

The familiar's power is to make a space of time that can be saved and restored.

(Basically if they have this one's protection, all evil intended guys will be repelled)

Hisashi had caught up to them and he stared at Inko in the bubble. Slowly approaching slowly with caution.

He passed right through as if nothing were there. The two looked in bewilderment at the familiar who started to walk somewhere. It moved its head to indicate for then to follow and the couple was brought to a hidden everglade. With the waterfall being the corner.

The two held hands as they stared in awe of the beauty and were both confused to why the familiar brought them there. They looked towards it in confusion but the familiar kept walking.

It reached the centre and it's body glowed bright, a bubble appeared from within and started to expand. It stretched and swelled until a whole patch of the forest was covered.

They had a home now...