Chapter 29

After having a small argument with his sister, Todoroki went to the hospital and checked in at the reception. His mother was on the 7th floor in block C, room 008.

The lift was filled with sick people and he was agitated anyway, so Todoroki ran up the stairs all the way to the 7th floor. He made a right, towards the C block and counted up the numbers.

001...002...003...004...005...006...

007....

008.

Todoroki held his breath as he stood outside silently. He wanted to do this before but could never face his fears. He wanted to run but something stopped him. Unconsciously grabbing his phone, he felt a vibration go off and he saw Deku send a kaomoji.
(・∀・)つ
^
Hewwo!

Internally smiling, he sent a smile back before turning his phone off, confidence and warmth came from the phone and he placed a hand on the door knob. He turned, and went in.

The evening sun rays shine through the open window with the cloudy curtains fluttering in the gentle wind. His mother sat peacefully on a wheelchair feeling the wind through her silver white hair.

She hadn't noticed him yet and his brain wanted him to leave, but all his cells forced him still and in place, unable to move. Another step forward, he was now only a couple meters away from his mother. Just a little but more...

Out from behind him, the familiar flew towards the frail woman, talons outstretched and shrieked.

The pale woman with hair of soft snow whipped her hair around to behold her large eyes, wide as they focused on the familiar.

"MUM!!" yelled Todoroki as he outstretched his hand. What? Why? Did he cause pain again?
Was it his fault again?
Would it have happened if he weren't there?

Would...it be better if he...

"Hello pretty bird, it's been a while huh?"

Coming back into reality, Todoroki no longer saw a helpless woman, instead, he saw a woman with many scares from past battles. A woman worn from the pain... A warrior...

Turning towards her son with his familiar in hand, Rei felt the overwhelming guilt from the past drown her. Her armour broke and tears rolled down her cheek. The familiar flew off and sat on a nearby perch and rested.

With hands outstretched, Rei opened her arms to hug her son and he did with little hesitation.

The pain and sadness of all he had to endure, hit Todoroki there and then. He was so grateful to Midoriya who reminded him that his family isn't lost, since if he didn't, he wouldn't be here right now.

The warmth of the embrace made tears overflow and all of a sudden, he was no longer a teen getting ready for school, but a little boy who wanted nothing but a hug.

Their arms tighten as if to try and give all the hugs they should've a long time ago. They both wept in joy for finally seeing each other and until their cheeks were tinged with pink. Refusing to let go, Rei held onto Todoroki's sleeve as he wheeled her towards a chair that she insisted he sat on.

He sat down and faced his mother who sat opposite him.

'I-I... Oh sorry... No no no, you start... "
They both stuttered and say there in silence before they started to laugh. They both laughed heartily for the first time in what seemed forever, clutching their stomachs as air left them.

Rei smiled brightly and Todoroki facial muscles relaxed with a small grin peeking out the corners of his mouth.

Ready, Todoroki got up and kneeled before his mother, head on the floor.