Chapter twenty three Re-Written

I fought as hard and desperately as i could to free myself from the firm grip that was holding me. To no use. The person holding me up wasn't even budging. My strength gradually started to fade and my eyes were stinging from the tears that threatened to pour out. I felt hopelessly weak. 

"Calm down, it's alright. It's me" A familiar voice whispered in my ears, giving me goosebumps. I recognized that voice. I stopped struggling for a moment and rested my hands on the arm that was holding my waist firmly. I turned my head upwards and and saw a face that was so beautiful that it gave me shivers. My cheeks started to immediately blush. It was Nicolai. Relief washed over me and I didn't know why. I felt safe and didn't ever want to leave his embrace. 

But there was something... off. I couldn't place it but there was this feeling of unease that started to creep in my stomach. I looked up at Nicolai again and his warm smile was now gone. His blue eyes were slowly turning black. Something was wrong. 

"What's wrong, love? Don't i look handsome?" Nicolai's mouth turned into an abnormal grin, stretching from one side of his face to the other and his eyes.. they were pitch black. His voice sounded distorted and....not human. I managed to yank myself from his grip and i quickly backed away as far as i could until my back hit the wall. The distorted face of Nicolai just stood there in the darkness, flashing that inhuman grin. My knees felt weak but i tried not to show fear.

"Aww! Are you scared?" He leaned his head to his side, not leaving me with those frightening eyes. Scared was an understatement. I was terrified. I mustered whatever courage i had left.

"Y..You're not Nicolai! W..Who are you?!" I said, trying to sound strong, but it came out as a pathetic squeak. A deep roaring laugh came from him.

"Very observant of you. Although you should know who i am, you know. It's quite rude to forget your savior. Well i can't say i blame you. You DID almost die." He took a step closer towards me, still working that disgusting smile. I couldn't move.

"W..What? I've never been saved by you. I.. I would remember that!" For sure i would remember a face as horrific as the one staring me down right now. I don't know how but in a spit second he went from being a couple of feet away from me to being only inches away from my face. My breathing stopped for a second as did my heart. I froze like a deer in headlights. He reached up and gently stroked away my long hair from my face. His smile had been dropped and he looked at me without a hint of emotion. Almost like a doll. Lifeless and dark. I didn't dare say anything. I just closed my eyes tightly, hoping he would disappear.

"Aww..Of course not baby Jaden. You wouldn't remember because i had to take over to stop us from dying. It took a lot of saved energy for me to do that you know." He said mockingly in a baby kind of way. His hand played with a stand of my hair. His skin burned against mine, leaving a stinging feeling on my cheek. What did he mean "take over"? Stop "us" from dying? Who was he talking about? I kept my eyes closed and bit down on my lip to stop trembling. Please someone... help me.