Chapter Twenty Re-Written

The picture i put in is pretty much how i imagined Valens cabin. Surrounded my miles of woods, solitary and cut of from humanity.

We walked along the narrow path that led us further into the darkening woods. I stuck close to Valen. My eyes flickering to my surroundings. I was terrified we would run into those monsters. Valen didn't seem worried at all. In fact he seemed rather calm, like he was just taking a casual stroll. Wasn't he afraid? 

We walked for what felt like hours. Valen was taking the lead and i was trying to keep up with his increasing pace. By now it was pitch black outside. You could barely make out the outlines of the tree tops in the moonlight. I felt my heart clench in fear. The fear that i can't see and wouldn't see anything that were lurking in the woods. Suddenly i heard a rustling sound just by my right. I jumped and had to cover my mouth not to scream. I felt Valens hand pushing me behind him. 

"Honestly, showing up in your werewolf form like this.. Why don't you show yourself now. We haven't got all night."

What was he saying? A werewolf?Surely those were just a fairytale. I mean there's no way... I didn't get to finish my thoughts. There, from the bushes on my right, stepped a nightmarish creature out onto the our path. It was standing on its hind legs. It's facial features were contorted. It was like a mix between a human face but with a wolf snout. Its red eyes were gleaming in the dark. My knees were about to give out and i felt my breath stop several times. The werewolf stretched out it's long fingers to try and grab me. Valen stepped infront of me.

"Now now, David. Can't you see you're scaring the poor boy?" He said with a calm voice. The creature snarled at Valen but backed away. It's name was David? It had a name? I buried my face in Valens cloak, too scared to look up. I heard a series of inhumane snarls and growls from the creature before a loud snap echoed through the woods. I had to look up. The werewolf's neck was bent backwards and it's body was violently twitching and contorting in a hellish manner. i watched, petrified, as this werewolf threw itself on the ground and spasmed. It grew smaller in size and it's fur was being yanked off by the creature itself. It was truly a sight one would get to see in hell. I can't describe how haunting the sight was. 

Wait.. It's features were now beginning to look familiar. Like someone I've met before. The werewolf had now a human frame. It was sitting on it's knees, naked and hunched over on the path before us. It was panting hard and heavy. It looked up and my eyes grew wide and my mouth dropped. It was David. That monster was David, that kind man that had given me a warm bed to sleep in. My brain had problems processing the situation.

"Back away, Valen. I'm warning you. Don't get close to him." David said and stood up. He was naked but that didn't affect the authenticity of the threat. He still gave away an aura of power even in human form.

"Is that anyway to thank me? You know, I saved this one when he was on the verge of death."  Valens hand gripped my shoulder as he looked at David. He was unfazed by the threat.

"For that I thank you but one good deed, among the thousand bad ones you've made, doesn't make you a good person. You know damn well what you are. Now let him go and we'll leave." David said through clenched teeth. Valen smirked and let go of my shoulder. David ushered me over to him and he hugged me tight.

"Always such a joy kill, David. I'm a changed man, you know." Valen said with a smile that didn't reach his cold eyes.

"Demons like you don't change. We'll be on our way now." David wrapped his arm around my shoulder and began to quickly walk us down the path. I looked back to thank Valen for his help but stopped myself. Valen stood completely still on the spot where we left him. His mouth still smiling but it was cold and almost scary. He grew smaller the further we got from him and before long we couldn't see him anymore. David stopped and turned to face me. 

"I'm so happy you're alive, Jaden. We were so worried for you." He said as he was hugging me tightly. His hug was warm and safe. The thoughts that David was that monster earlier were almost gone. I didn't believe it. 

"You don't know how lucky you are to have met Valen and lived to tell about it. So lucky." David said and i could see fear flash in his eyes. Why was he so scared of Valen? He who had been only kind to me. I suppose it had something to do with that feeling you get when you look him in the eyes. That empty, hollow feeling. Like there's nothing there. No feelings, nothing. I shook the thought off. Right now, all I wanted was a warm bed. I was exhausted and my arm was becoming numb from hurting for so long. We walked for a while before i could finally see the lights of houses in the distance. Finally I'll get out of these woods.