Chapter Nineteen Re-written

The familiar feeling of pain throbbed throughout my body. The worst of it being in my arm. I felt my muscles spasming uncontrollably as I was slipping in and out of consciousness. The rain were making it even harder for me to see anything but i could make out the outlines of big stones around me. The last thing i remember was being in the woods, chased by those monsters..

I shuddered. Where are they? Are they lurking in the darkness, waiting for me to show myself? Panic filled my chest as i tried my hardest to drag myself further in the crevices of the rocks, to hide myself the best i could. The thunder roared loudly in the sky and the lightning followed closely, momentarily lighting up the surroundings. It was only for a split second but i could've swore that i saw... an outline of a person, there, a few yards from where i was. A brief moment of relief hit me when i thought it was David or Marlene that had found me. The person walked with quick steps towards me. The closer they came the more i started to realize that it wasn't David or Marlene..It was a stranger. The figure stopped in front of me and crouched down. Startled, I scooted further back i accidentally hit my arm agains the rock. The pain was so intense that i passed out. Before I completely blacked out however, i saw the figure reaching out to grab me...

The light were hurting my eyes. I tried blinking the pain away while i covered my eyes with my hand. 

"So, you're awake." Said a husk, deep voice. 

I froze. I didn't recognize that voice.. I quickly sat up but that was a mistake because i became incredibly dizzy and fell back down. My eyes couldn't make out anything more than outlines in the harsh light. There was someone sitting on a chair beside me.

"You needn't get so worked up. If i wanted to cause you harm you wouldn't be laying there." The voice said in a calm but bored voice. I turned my head to try to see who it was. There, on the chair next to me, sat a.. young man. A rather beautiful young man. The deep voice i heard did not match such an appearance. He had light brown eyes that appeared almost golden, blonde and silky hair that draped gracefully down his back and a slim but firm figure. He looked like the prince from one of the fairy tail books The Doctor gave me when i was young. The young man met my stare and i felt my heart jump. He smiled and gave me a peeled apple slice.

"You were in a rather bad state out there, young man. It was tough but i managed to save your arm." He said and gestured towards my bandaged right arm. He suddenly stood up.

"It should be fine in a few days. Rest some more. I'll go get some water for you." 

As the man walked away i tried to sit up once again, this time more slowly. My eyes had adjusted somewhat to the light and i could see my surroundings. I was in, what appeared to be, a wooden cottage. It was quite big but at the same time it felt small and cozy. 

"Here, drink this." I was startled. I didn't hear or see him come into the room again. I wearily accepted the drink.

"T..thanks." I piped and carefully drank the water. I glanced at him and gathered some courage.

"W..who are you?" I asked meekly and looked down at my hands. 

"That's a question that has a complicated answer. I suppose people nowadays call me Valen." The man said and sat down in a chair by the fireplace. 

I was confused by the way he spoke but didn't pay it any mind. I clunked down the water like never before and gently placed the cup on the small table beside me. 

"I..I would like to r..return to David and M..Marlene, please." I said softly. Even though i didn't know the couple all that well i felt the most safe with them. They gave me warmth. 

"The door is over there, my boy. I'm not stopping you." He said and gestured towards the old wooden door at the other end of the room. With very shaky legs, i stood up and wobbled over the room. Right before I reached the door the young man spoke.

"However, before you go, i should mention that we're quite deep into the forest. I can't promise you that dark creatures won't lurk about."

I stopped with my hand on the door knob. I backed away. Memories from the night before were flooding in. Flashbacks to those sharp, long claws and those soulless black eyes made me shudder from fear. I didn't want to stay here any longer but the thought of leaving and taking my chances with those monsters with this body wasn't an option. I felt tears starting to well up in my eyes. I looked up to keep them from falling.

"There, there. There's no need to cry. As it so happens I have an errand in town. You could just tag along." The young man said and placed a cold but gentle hand on my shoulder. Relief washed over me.

"B..But the m..monsters.." I said and looked up at the man who now had a long coat draped over his shoulders. He smiled coldly.

"Don't you worry. They don't dare come near me, you see. Now! Off we go." He said and opened the front door. It was dusk so it was quite dark outside. I felt my heart starting to race. We walked outside, locked the door and headed into the woods once again.